White Cloak Misery - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White Cloak Misery

I'm trying to paint a Warmachine Khador Graylord Ternion, and I wanted to be nifty and paint the leader's cloak in white... Now, I've never painted that much white before, and when I was done basing it... it looked like CRAP. Then I tried the shade-painting technique described on Brushthralls (strong light overhead, paint in the shadows), and it looks like the crap took a dump on itself, and an elephant stepped on it.

Anyway, to make a short story long, I need advice on painting, highlighting, and washing white stuff.

PS: here's someone elses painted Graylord leader in case you want to know what the model looks like.

http://www.daoloth.me.uk/ikwarmachin...ion_leader.JPG

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Well if you use that as a benchmark you should be able to do better.

First up they have started with good colours, but really havent highlighted as well as they could have.

On the gray part of the cloak you really should be building straight up to white, so do the gray then go over it with thin (watered down) white to all but the recesses (should use a lighter shade of grey rather than white here) repeat building through the grays painting a smaller area each time up to white on the high points.

There is pretty good tutorial somewhere on here on muddy cloaks which explains it very well, just substitute in gray and white for the colors they use. On the top part do the same thing but go through belached bone up to white rater than through gray.

Hope it helps and good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'll try that, thanks

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Allonairre View Post
    Well if you use that as a benchmark you should be able to do better.

First up they have started with good colours, but really havent highlighted as well as they could have.

On the gray part of the cloak you really should be building straight up to white, so do the gray then go over it with thin (watered down) white to all but the recesses (should use a lighter shade of grey rather than white here) repeat building through the grays painting a smaller area each time up to white on the high points.

There is pretty good tutorial somewhere on here on muddy cloaks which explains it very well, just substitute in gray and white for the colors they use. On the top part do the same thing but go through belached bone up to white rater than through gray.

Hope it helps and good luck.
    He's got this pretty much correct.

The thing you need to know about painting black and white is that highlighting doesn't really work, not for high quality anyway. You have to SHADE these colours.

But yeah, I paint white by starting with codex or fortress grey as my base, and then on my palette I mix in a little bit of skull white. And a fair bit of water - its important to keep the coats of paint as smooth as possible. Then I again mix in a little more skull white, and shade a smaller area again.

I actually only tend to end up with the smallest part of whatever I'm painting as actual pure skull white - most of it is instead varying incremental shades of light grey. But I think this actually looks much better than painting on lots of white - it gives the mini a better sense of depth.

Here's one I prepared earlier:

I painted this guy up for kicks a little while back, its not the best photo, but I managed to win a painting comp with it so I was pretty happy. But yeah - the above method is how I painted his cloak.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

+ Reply to Thread