Phoenix Lord Terrain - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

Phoenix Lord Terrain

I am an Eldar player that has been content fighting in human terrain for some time now but I wanted to make some for a fight on a craft world. Specifically I wanted to make the Phoenix Lord statues on pillars like those on page 58 of the Eldar codex. I think it would be great fun to have these massive PLs looming over the battlefield of a tyranid invasion or what not. Back to the point! I have no idea how to construct these or even what material to use as I have not made terrain for 40k yet. I have many supplies already from other projects but don't know if anything would work. Any help would be appreciated such as suggested materials, techniques, estimated measurements possibly. I will try and rep anyone who gives help as long as the site lets me.

Thank you all in advance.

Never apologise for asking questions young seers, through asking
    questions we find answers, and through those answers we gain
    knowledge of ourselves and the universe around us
    -Farseer Marauth
    Meet My Autarch

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Hey there.

Given that it's eldar we're talking about, the usual cake pillars won't do the job. I would recommend going to cheap shops. Over here in Nihon we have the 100 yen store. Dime stores and places that sell cheap tacky throw-away items is what you're looking for.

Have a look around. Perhaps a weird looking vase or a spray bottle that's long and fluted. Once you find a shape you like you can add stuff to it.

There's a guy who has done some very interesting eldar scenery. Necromundicon.
    His eldar stuff is the best i've seen. It's a little on the 'busy' side but I still love it.

Other than that you can look at getting foamcore and cutting out big wraithbone shapes, or if they're likely to see a lot of action, and you have the tools, use 5 or 7 ply wood. You can get a much more rounded, oval shape to the strut sections.

Googling 'eldar wraithbone scenery' just now gave me this. Lot of effort but looks purdy.

Good luck, and be sure to post some of your work on the board when you're on your way!
    Eldar ~7k, Orks ~11k, Tyranids ~1k5, Space Wolves ~1k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

Thank you very much! Rep for you friend. I will definitely be posting my work if I find a suitable way to make it.

The idea so far...

The pillar will be made of foam core and some sort of putty, maybe green stuff.

The details of the pillar will include sculpted works depicting each aspect including an exarch at the front of the base of each pillar.

Any comments or ideas will be appreciated as well

I love LO, such wonderful people :drinking:
    -Farseer Marauth
    Meet My Autarch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi - another possible idea would be to read some of the fluff with the eldar codex. If i remember rightly in the slightly older one there is a bit where the eldar spirit stones and stored in some kind of wraithbone wall/structure/pillar if i remember rightly. This could be a really cool conversion piece because you could have your pillars imbued with spirit stones and your sculpting work. painted with ghostly eldar runes it would look awesome.

Keep us posted.
    At ease men - some of you may die - happily that is a sacrifice i am willing to make.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    229 (x4)

As for the statues, you may want to take a trip into he toy isle of your favorite store, and check out some models for the statues.

Pick yourself up a few star wars Clone trooper models. a bit of green stuff, some Eldar bits and a few hacks with a saw later, you could model a nice Sniper/ Eldar warrior hero statue., or even find a clone trooper without helmet one. A nice file and some more exacto blade hacks later, you could make a nice field commander.

Nice action figure of the Emperor or Pre-Emperor Palpatine (sans hood). With another few passes of the file, and you could do some of those robed Eldar.

Go to your post office, ask for a 2'' wide mailing tube. (about 2 1/2 ft long.
    take it home. you'll notice they're pretty thick.
    Cut yourself off three inches, tape one end shut, or just use the caps they have there available.
    If no caps are found, tape one end shut.
    Make sure it's shut GOOD.
    turn it over, and pour wood glue into it until the taped bottom is fully covered.
    let dry 2 days.
    Turn back over, take tape off. voila!
    (now the ingenius part)
    Turn it back over to original position with glue down.
    Pour more glue into the tube, covernig the 1st glue pass x2 (double the ammt)
    Tape the top shut GOOD.
    turn it over!
    Wait 2-3 days.
    test tape (poke at it, did it move?)
    if it did not, then take tape off.
    You have a nice plinth.
    GLue that to a 60mm dreadnought base, and you have your statue plinth.
    add Eldar bits for flair.

Still got over 2 feet of tube left. Rise and repeat as needed.
    Last edited by Shonuff; May 28th, 2008 at 01:44.
    Sho: out.

Rome wasn't built in a day, Either should good scenery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

Thank you both for your help. I will be picking up materials and collecting more ideas in the next few weeks as I don't have the time to actually start construction yet during my finals. construction will be a bit after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by captain kermit View Post
    painted with ghostly eldar runes it would look awesome.
    This is a fun idea I have toyed around with already but I can't find enough runes to make the pillars look unique. The codex has a very limited set of runes only depicting the craft worlds, aspect types, and a few scattered symbols throughout. Would anyone know where I could find the rune symbols like this or would I just have to come up with some that looked close?
    -Farseer Marauth
    Meet My Autarch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have the eldar codex with the blue cover?? if so there is a page in the back with at least 15 different runes on it. every special character has its own rune. On the page with the weapons there is a very small bit of writing than is in runes. It appears to be lines with bits of rune imbued into them. failing that ou could always mak some of your own up. As long as thelook is right no one is going to know especially if you fluff the storyline a bit.
    If you need the runepage PM me and i'll scan it for you.
    At ease men - some of you may die - happily that is a sacrifice i am willing to make.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

Thank you for the suggestion. I would rep you again but must spread some around before I can tag yours again sorry. If all else fails I can always just eldar up some Norse Runes
    -Farseer Marauth
    Meet My Autarch

+ Reply to Thread