Need help with paint scheme.. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

Need help with paint scheme..

I have a question...I have asked a few people to give me insight but they too got confused by my explanation of what I want to to for my bloodletters. So I had this awesome idea for a two toned colour scheme. My onyl problem is actually making it two toned. I wanted to do a red base but when it caught the glare of bright lights I want it to look almost orange...but I do not know how to actually achieve this.
    I was thinking I could do a red base then an orange glaze but...I think that wouldn't give me the actual affects I want...Then I thought red washes might work but that still wouldn't give it the two toned look I was...

So any insight would be great. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

As lovely as the effect you're considering may be I can't see it being done in acrylic. If you were to highlight the red towards purple and glaze with orange (and keep doing so) it might work but it could take hours just to get a tiny area right.
    Up, up and away!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

104 (x3)

I was thinking of just trying to find a two toned red orange paint...but I am not even sure if they sell it...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

Do you mean you want the paint to look like that special paint they use on some of those extremely hotted-up cars... the car comes towards you looking one colour, and as you view it from a different angle (normally as it drives past) the colour changes...

Kind of like those holograms where you see different pictures from different angles...? Except with colours... I think I've heard it referred to as 'Chameleon paint' but I have no idea if that's the official name.

Of course, I could be like the many people who have just gotten confused at what you described...
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

104 (x3)

Aye it is exactly like that But I don't know if you can actually achieve it which is the problem...

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I paint those cars for cash. The paint you're talking about is called Pearlescent, or (like he said) Chameleon, or simply Color-shift paint.
    Long story short- it's too thick to use on models, even just bases.

The reason (if you're curious) is that you need to paint various coats on to acheive the effect. Each coat of paint contains small shards of material that is colored on different sides. Painting a CAR with this stuff is such a pain in the butt, i'd hate to think what it's like to paint something as tiny as a model-base (even IF it worked- it does not). You need 2-3 base layers and a clearcoat, all of which has to be applied completely smooth or you get wierd shifts.

Sorry man, but as far as I can tell you- you aren't going to be doing real colorshift for a while. I would suggest a white base with successively darker ink washes.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread