Purity Seal Problems - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purity Seal Problems

Hi all,

I am in need of a bit of consoling as a few days ago I just ruined a model that I had just finished painting by spraying it with Purity Seal! To my confusion I have been using Purity Seal for a year now (same can which is still quite full) and have been extremely happy with the results. However, on this occasion, a dusty appearance ensued.

With the model in a dusty state, I tried painting water on to the model, and the dusty appearance dissappeared, but when the water evaporated, the dusty look came back. In all honesty I had seen this before a long time ago when sealing some terrain but managed to get rid of it by covering with Matt Varnish. However in this case that trick did not work and the model was ruined! I am still absolutely devastated.

I thought it a one off and sprayed another 2 models the other day, only for the same thing to happen! I considered a new hobby briefly in my thralls! I was in a really dark place. Isn't life is full of hard lessons? However, I didn't panic as much this time and I covered these models with Gloss Varnish and that got rid of the dustiness. I then coated in Matt Varnish. This did the trick but still does not look as good as Purity Seal (when it works).

I wondered if anyone else has seen this?

Perhaps my can is out of date?

Perhaps I sprayed too little?

Perhaps I sprayed too much?

Perhaps the humidity was wrong?

Perhaps I was too close?

Perhaps I was too far?

Perhaps I didn't shake enough?

Perhaps I shook too much?

Please someone help me...

p.s. I have a feeling that it is either related to humidity / time of day of spraying, perhaps even sunlight, or the can being out of date.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x1)

That has happend to me once except with a different spray (testors d'cote) I found that it was because the temperature (I spray outside) was to cold. The varnish went to a dusty white-ish colour . It could also be the can being out of date I suppose cause you have had it for quite a while now.

-Dwayne
    CHK CHK BOOM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
    That has happend to me once except with a different spray (testors d'cote) I found that it was because the temperature (I spray outside) was to cold. The varnish went to a dusty white-ish colour . It could also be the can being out of date I suppose cause you have had it for quite a while now.

-Dwayne
    Thanks for the reply , I suppose it could be temperature related. I tend to try and paint every night and at the moment I am coming to the end of a production chain of Night Goblins. I have been finishing a few every night and going outside to the garage to spray them. I make sure to shake the can very thoroughly now but that did not work on the latest two I mentioned. I am sure I have sprayed at similar times of day before (around 10 to 11PM).

I have tested out a few theories tonight, I tested the spray on a spare DVD case which would seem a good test subject as it is black with a clear plastic cover - any dustiness shall not go unnoticed. I shook the can for a few minutes and sprayed the DVD case in my kictchen which is anything from 18 to 21 degrees centigrage (not Fahrenheit). I tried a thin coat and a thick coat. Both went dusty. I guess this rules out most things except the can being old?

What do you think?
    Last edited by mattapplegate; May 29th, 2008 at 23:37.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Also

If it was windy or there were conditions that made u spray closer to the model than usual, it can make it dusty

same with all the sprays
    can burn models easily with base spray if your too close

Just make sure its decent conditions, as Dwayne said the temp ain't too bad, not too windy and u can spray it relaxed and the same as u sually do. I find a foot-15" away works best with all sprays to be honest.
    Last edited by Castellan Green; May 30th, 2008 at 00:27.
    "I have dug my grave in this place and I will either triumph or I will die!" Reclusiarch Grimaldus

"Those I cannot crush with words I will crush with the Tanks of the Imperial Guard!" Lord Solar Macharius

"Hear Me Inquisitor Ordinary. Obey me. I am of the Malleus!" Inquisitor Jaq Draco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Castellan Green View Post
    Also

If it was windy or there were conditions that made u spray closer to the model than usual, it can make it dusty

same with all the sprays
    can burn models easily with base spray if ur too close

Just make sure its decent conditions, as Dwayne said the temp ain't too bad, not too windy and u can spray it relaxed and the same as u sually do. I find a foot-15" away works best with all sprays tbh.
    Thanks for the comments.

No winds in my garage or kitchen, and I think I am certainly over a foot away when spraying.

I suppose the moral of the story is to always always always test before spraying. Leave 10 - 20 mins for the test subject to dry before committing. The last thing you want is to spend 4 weeks painting a unit of troops, then ruin the lot with Purity Seal.

I am very worried that Purity Seal can be this temperamental, if it is the age of the can, then what is to stop me buying a new one that has been in stock at the GW for ages! Perhaps the ratio of contents in the can has been effected with use AND age? Most varnishes are Gloss/Satin by nature, so perhaps the component that makes it Matt is now dominant.

Who knows? Does anyone know the exact reason?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

In that case I apologise for commentary that was pointless and cannot say I know what the reason possibly could be.

Perosnally I only paint varnish my models. and only do it when i want armour plate to stand out over robes (like when both are black or something)

I'll try and look into it for you.
    "I have dug my grave in this place and I will either triumph or I will die!" Reclusiarch Grimaldus

"Those I cannot crush with words I will crush with the Tanks of the Imperial Guard!" Lord Solar Macharius

"Hear Me Inquisitor Ordinary. Obey me. I am of the Malleus!" Inquisitor Jaq Draco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Castellan Green View Post
    I'll try and look into it for you.
    Many thanks .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x2)

I find doing it too close can cause terrible damage to colour and if the nozzel is unclean or it is too dusty or humid then the surface can be ruined.
    Up, up and away!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

83 (x2)

another thing that may cause freaky behaviour is storage temperature..

you mentioned spraying in the garage,

you didnt forget the can out there over night or so?

paints are a bit sensitive towards temperature fluctuations..
    Most importantly, cold temperatures can wreck them, normal pigmentpaints usually dont show any symptoms, but clearcoats can get crusty, dusty, start to crack when drying etc etc, all because its simply been chilly in the storage.

just a thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arachnid View Post
    another thing that may cause freaky behaviour is storage temperature..

you mentioned spraying in the garage,

you didnt forget the can out there over night or so?
    just a thought.
    Thanks for the comments!

I did take the the can with me on a trip back to see my folks. I was hoping to get some painting done! I did wonder about that... But I don't think the temperature would have been that different to be honest, even in transit. I certainly didn't leave the can outside...

...I am going to my local GW today to seek some advice and a new can. Will post any news.
    Last edited by mattapplegate; May 31st, 2008 at 11:18.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast