Motivation for Painting? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motivation for Painting?

Currently, I have found myself lumbered with a quite large backlog of models to paint .... but can never find the motivation to do it. I really enjoy the modeling phase (with plastics anyway .....) and I do enjoy making lists/playing games but have never been attracted to painting.

I am just wondering if any other members have had this problem, and what they do to combat it? i really want to have a fully finished army to play with, but that isn't enough for me to want to paint them

GEN 29:The 1st time you see this copy into your sig and add 1 to the generation

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

I hate painting, I really do, converting and making things from scratch is at least ten times more fun, but the only thing that motivates me to paint is knowing that they will be finished, but even then thats nothing. Maybe when I see a good tutorial I get inspired but now more than ever, I have too much to do that painting has to take a very very big back seat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Hmmm...it's kinda tough. I guess the question you have to ask yourself is: do you like painting? If you don't, then it might be hard to get yourself to do it, you know, it's like asking someone who doesn't like onions to eat onions (me

If you kinda like it, maybe you're not satisfied with your results? In that case your motivation should be to improve your skills, hence you should paint to practice. If you do a good job and you are satisfied with it, then that may be your motivation - satisfaction.

Another motivation might be simply competition, you might wanna smoke your friends' painted-by-a-four-year-old-looking armies, or if they look really pro you might not wanna stay behind.

See, I never played a game of Warhammer/40k/LOTR (just the PC games) but I got into painting 5 months ago and do just that and enjoy it and constantly try to improve, try new colours, techniques, etc. I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy the game, too, maybe I'll try one day.

My 3 cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies

I'm glad to hear in part I'm not the only one .....

I'll try a couple of things mentioned (mainly improving my skills ........ I'm definatly a below average painter)

And for one bright side, I have a lot to practise on (I think last time i checked it was nearly a 1000 point dwarf army, imperial guard platoon, 1500 of eldar aspect warriors ........ quite a variety)

Although ... Ogre Kingdoms look like a fun army to paint (and few models :party
    GEN 29:The 1st time you see this copy into your sig and add 1 to the generation

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

You mentioned the idea of creating cool converted models. I think the paint job is the final touch, the piece de resistance. Look at it not so much as a chore to do AFTER the conversion, but instead look at it as a component of it. To me, a model is never "finished" until it's properly painted. Not that a great conversion means nothing without paint on it, but think how rewarding it will be to see that piece you've slaved over now finally coming to life!
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

one thing I found that works well is just sitting yourself down, remove all distractions, get some nice brushes and maybe (if you can afford it) buy a single unit or a small squad and paint them to the absolute best of your ability, I did that with my grey knight squad, and now that I'm better I'm going to re-do them with my new skeells!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x2)

Tale of Painters. Seriously. This has got me painting more reliably and to a better standard then ever.

Give yourself some deadlines / join a painting contest / find a support group (there's some on every major forum). The positive feedback and the struggle with fellow painters really helps get me going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I'm largely the same way, converting I love but painting often feels more like a chore. I'm just starting to learn to enjoy it and wanting to improve now.

The big motivation for me at first was that when I started the only place I knew to play was the local GW, which only allowed fully painted armies at the time. What I think really worked for me though, was picking models I liked, coming up with a simple paint scheme (making sure to use colours with good coverage), and then focusing on just getting a very basic "table top ready" paint job done (even if it doesn't look great upclose, chances are it will look good on the table for a game). It let the work go reasonably quickly, which made it feel much more acheivable, and it was much nicer getting to play with painted models.

Not sure if any of that will help, but good luck!
    -destp
    Thousand Sons ~2750 points | Eldar ~1000 points
    Tzeentch Daemons ~2000 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    397 (x6)

I would second the suggestion of Tale of Painters or something similar. Having deadlines is a good motivator to get some models finished. I also find that once I get going and have a half painted army, I'm a lot more motivated to finish; getting started is the hard part.

I would recommend getting a single squad painted up and then putting them next to all of your unpainted models. Seeing all that bare plastic next to some paint should get you going.
    General Project Log Things I Paint
    Seeing Red A Khador Log
    Stuck Between Stations My Blog

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

It is funny, I used to love modeling and hate painting. Now, when I want a model I scan ebay for built, but not painted, minis. I greatly prefer to paint, even to the point of painting 120 solid metal Tallarn!

I think it has something to do with the fact I made a concerted effort to get better at painting. I hated painting because I used a boring color scheme on my marines and never did anything advanced. Now I've gotten much better because I had a goal other than "Just to get done".
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast