Ork building colors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

Ork building colors

I was thinking this should go in the painting section as it will get more hits but I assume I'll still get the help I need from anyone who happens to wander by.

Now I'm sure a fair few of you may remember my old super project, DA MEK SHOP

But after some inspiring words from a fellow member, I've decided I want to get this fella done and on the table.

I went through the miserable 6 pages of terrain for "ork" and "orc" on coolminiornot and the best ork stuff is here...

CoolMiniOrNot - Orks Mekshop by marcineczek0
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/index/w...rrain/id/78055

Now thats all I can find for reference to painting, the first one however looks nice, doesn't seem right without any rust, and the second looks like a house made of mud so no help there, but it looks nice all the same.

My question is, how about should I do the painting, right now it is sitting there black, the sand yellow but I think maybe a coat of light or dark grey over the black, then go straight into the rusting, I wanted to have lots of colored plates, but I reckon that should wait till the final bit because its just too much work for such a huge piece, this thing is massive, it doesn't fit through my door if I hold it sideways.

So does anyone else have some input into how I should paint it? I originally wanted to just do a rush job and get it done but after looking at it, and really thinking, a nice piece like that would just be destroyed by a crummy paint job of hell.

Anyone else have some input?
    Or if the admins think so, maybe better suited in the painting section just to get more hits and ideas?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

My first piece of advice is take your time. Coat it all black by hand, very lightly start with the sand adding a mix of browny grey slowy drush dry brushing each layer add a bit more lighter of a brown until it finally comes to a shaded sand sand colour, for the building just keep dry brushing differently layers of metal / rust.

The biggest part is dry brush everything (I would say skip any spraying here) and do it really slow, it would be ashame like you said to have a half decent paint job on a piece like that.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

I only have one brown color, I guess I could mix more, but my yellow and brown paints are both water and oil paint and they are severely off-color from the originals, cos I'm too cheap to buy new yellow and brown because I don't use it that often.

I have a bad tendency to bump the paint and knock half a tub out onto my desk or pants...

I was thinking of the brown underneath, or even green like how ash got his rust to look, but I don't think a lot of ork metal should be that coppery look.

So yeah I'm kind of stuck, I don't want to spend forever on it, but at the same time I don't want it to look crap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x3)

use newspaper and an old trashed shirt on your lap then. for painting, im going to go with gauss storm.
    How dare you speak out against LO! I shall beat you with a giant inflatable duck and then ban you to the lowest level of hell! ~Karmoon
    My recruitment link!

+ Reply to Thread