Duane tries NMM! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

Duane tries NMM!

Yeah I've decided the old grey knights I had just aren't as beautiful with a dab of metal here and there, and its the perfect unit to try NMM for the first time, also trying to make nice looking force/power weapons too. This will be exploring my desperate attempt to paint!

It all started today, took me hours to get them all covered in boltgun metal and black paint, I went over the little writing in the shin guards and on the guns with shining gold, then a wash of black ink over that really brought out the letters, I'll see if I can get a decent photo of it tomorrow, with no light in here and no lamps in this house for years, its hard to get.

So that is the full squad as they stand right now, I took all the plates off the feet so I could stick them in nicer bases, and the bases they are on now are just temporary, I have so many spare that I can now have "painting bases" and real bases.

so the shoulder pads are black, I just think it stands out nicer amongst all the silver/grey/metal and they need at least one part of them to strike out I believe.

So I started on the force weapons, originally I just wanted to have a nice bright blue rim along the edge of the blade but I figured now is the time to do this and what do I have to lose?

I tried a test on a spare piece of plasticard, and it seemed to work pretty well, I took a large dab of blue paint, and made three small puddles with it on the desk, each smaller than the last, and then I took some white paint, mixed the largest part of it with the smallest blue section, and the left overs with the middle paint blot.

After that, I took some water and washed the in-betweens together so they blended real nice, of course this led to some problems later on but seemed to work really well for the power sword.

Basically the idea was simple, start with the absolute darkest color and then obviously lead up to the super-light blue, and if I felt it was nessecary then finish it with a dab of white.

It didn't work so well on the... forward axe? halberds? whatever they are called, but only practice makes perfect ey guys?

and just about 20 minutes ago I figured the first chance to do the grey knight would start, I hadn't planned to do the knights from the start but if I picked this skill up early, I could use it on my real marines, or even the orks or the fortress I made, not to mention loads of other half-projects I have going.

I made a thin line of pure white along the edge where I felt it would reflect best, (the point where I could see the boltgun metal reflect the best) and adding fractions of paint to the brush and dry-brushing it off as I went, the reflection got darker, I plan to only do one side as the light can really only come from one side right? and I plan to use the light in my room as a guide to where it needs the white.

So far only the top of the gun, a little on the helmet and the arms are done, but this is only the first stage, tomorrow I will get around to making a metal/white color that will hopefully blend the two sections together!

Anyways any C&C is welcome of course, but remember this is a learning process for me, I suck at painting and naturally I won't get this right the very first time.

P.S. the power weapons still needs a lightning bolt through it, but I'm too scared so it may have to wait.

Last edited by omgitsduane; August 8th, 2008 at 02:41.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Wher dat naked blue chik? Jaffar_Hasad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    260 (x6)

Why did you paint them Boltgun Metal first? Aren't you making Non Metallic Metal GKs?
    Sleeping, not dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Removed by the moderators.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

266 (x8)

Cos I never planned to do them like that, good question now that I think about it, but after doing all the finicky painting I don't want to scrub them clean again, I'll just go over all the boltgun with dark greys later on remember its small steps

Wher dat naked blue chik? Jaffar_Hasad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

260 (x6)

*psst* say it's so you can see how it would shine with light hitting it, which you will paint over later. :happy:
    Sleeping, not dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Removed by the moderators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

They don't look bad. Can't wait to see more.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

Not bad, bud. Looking forward, as always, to your continued efforts.

Tekore

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

266 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaffar_Hasad View Post
    *psst* say it's so you can see how it would shine with light hitting it, which you will paint over later. :happy:
    actually I did do that, but for some reason I never bothered to say it in the post, well regardless thanks tekore and meish! I really hope to get this done sooner rather than later as usually I can't stand painting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

Lol, well you are doin g a good job at it. And you could have fooled me that you didn't like to paint as they look good. Well done. Can't wait to see more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x1)

Excellent work so far, the force weapons are awsome, good luck with the lightning bolts.

Meish is right, I would never have guessed that you don't like painting......how on earth could you not like painting;?.

-Dwayne

EDIT; Yay 50 posts =)
    Last edited by Dwayne; June 2nd, 2008 at 06:09.
    CHK CHK BOOM!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

266 (x8)

basically just a quick image fest before I goto bed, the first is of the failed lightning bolt on the force weapon.

I wanted to do the lightning bolt, but after seeing other examples, I may just line the corner of the blade angles with white paint.
    So that sucked lol.

I've gone over all the grey knights armor with a darkish grey color and done a black line at the back where I think the shine runs out, and a line of white at the front where I believe the reflection is, remember its early stages, the white line may thin out towards the end.

Sorry for bad quality, I'll take better ones after I get more work done tomorrow.

So besides the crappy lightning job, I think I'm coming along well, I may have to make up a pot of grey that I can use to easy mix in with the white and black for the shine all the way around the model.

So do I look like I'm on the right track? C&C welcome
    Last edited by omgitsduane; August 8th, 2008 at 02:42.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast