The ultimate board. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

The ultimate board.

I am planning to build what will be the coolest board any of you have ever seen.

It will be a 5x4 foot Cities of Death board, because my gaming group has had hundreds of dollars worth of unpainted CoD buildings sitting around since the expansion came out.

On the surface there will be two main streets, each 6" wide with 1" sidewalks on each side, that run through the center of the board each direction. In the middle will be a big plaza with a cool statue in the middle, which will be a model from the Inquisitor range. Auxiliary roads will be 4" wide and will be placed so that 8x8" sections are formed, in which the CoD buildings (which I will put on 8x8" bases) can be inserted. This allows the building layout to be modular. Two dirty canals, perpendicular to each other, will run through the city at roughly 45-degree angles to the road grid.

This is all very cool, but to top it off, everything will be built on top of a 3" base of pink foam. Within this foam, beneath the buildings and roads, shall be a subterranean tunnel system! There will be manholes throughout the city on the roads, and the tunnels will be about 4" wide. Where they intersect the canals there will be rusty hatches/doors, since the canals have very little water (more like sewage I'm thinking) in them.

To accommodate the second board beneath the city, the road sections will also be removable, but when placed on the board will sit perfectly flush with each other (and the buildings) and be secured by rare earth magnets (this is so I can store the board against a wall).

Thinking about gameplay, I think this board-beneath-a-board will be cool because it can allow for a lot of great Cities of Death strategy and offer some cool possibilities. Getting troops to different strategic locations, for example, since the roads will likely be filled with modular barricades and piles of rubble pieces.

What do you think?

Last edited by The Salmon Thief; June 21st, 2008 at 06:20.
    Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    229 (x4)

You Sir, have intrigued this High Lord of Scenery.

I await to see this trumping of my scenery to date, with supportive glee.

You sir... have a job ahead of you.
    Sho: out.

Rome wasn't built in a day, Either should good scenery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Shonuff View Post
    You Sir, have intrigued this High Lord of Scenery.

I await to see this trumping of my scenery to date, with supportive glee.

You sir... have a job ahead of you.
    Well then construction shall begin immediately. Tonight I rest, and tomorrow, Home Depot!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Oh fun making scenery is.....

With Oden On Our Side... The Doctor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Two questions.
    Why 5x4?
    And how do you plan on using the tunnels in the middle of the game?

While I agree the idea is beastly, I think great terrain also needs to be practical for gaming.
    If you have to move models to get to part of the terrain, it's impractical.

5x4 is a weird dimension. I've seen 4x4, 6x4, and 8x4*...never 5x4.

*I've seen 32x4 as well. It was a 10,000 point 5v5 battle. However, I file that under "Things not seen every day".
    Half Gods are worshiped with Wine and Flowers. Real Gods are worshiped in Blood.

Blood for the Blood God! Beer for the Bronze Keg!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Two questions.
    Why 5x4?
    And how do you plan on using the tunnels in the middle of the game?

While I agree the idea is beastly, I think great terrain also needs to be practical for gaming.
    If you have to move models to get to part of the terrain, it's impractical.

5x4 is a weird dimension. I've seen 4x4, 6x4, and 8x4*...never 5x4.

*I've seen 32x4 as well. It was a 10,000 point 5v5 battle. However, I file that under "Things not seen every day".
    I was planning on making everything on top of the board removable, to access the tunnels below... but you bring up a good point, what if models in buildings and other places become dislodged? This could be troublesome indeed. I could just build the tunnels anyway, because they're cool, and never use them if it's too much trouble.

5x4 because I already have an 8x4, and I was thinking 6x4 would be too big for a second board, but 4x4 would be too small for a Cities of Death board. 5x4 ends up working perfectly with my planned road sizes and 8x8" building bases, too.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

You have a lot of work ahead of you sir, best of luck with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x4)

If you can't get to the tunnels because of models, use empty bases instead to represent their position in the tunnels.
    Avatar's Arena #3 let the games begin!
    The Outsider And Kae'Tyr-necron fluff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

229 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar of khaine View Post
    If you can't get to the tunnels because of models, use empty bases instead to represent their position in the tunnels.

Quoted for truth.

The tunnels and etc below should STILL be made, but not to be lifted and exposed.

Hear me out.

1. Use brother Avatar's idea and when moving units in the tunnels, use empty bases to determine location/movement.

2. make the tunnels more complex, with rooms, dead ends and open fall-aways making the tunnels usable. What you do, is set up half the table withthe street top, and the other half of the table with NO top. The "no top" section, could be explained, that orbital bombardment etc has flattened the buildings to rubble and covered all possible exits. So one army is moving through the tunnels. The other army is up top, unaware of the invader entering from underground.
    This will allow you to use the tunnels without having to move sections above it, possibly messing up unit placement or even knocking models over.

3. Remove the ENTIRE top, and do some combat patrols/kill teams within the 'sewer system'. Strike teams, sewer-style.

4. make it just to impress people, and also, to take photos and sho me!
    Sho: out.

Rome wasn't built in a day, Either should good scenery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x4)

How about building the board 6' by 4'. If you want a battle using just the top, put both halves on, on top of their tunnel system. If you want a battle using the top and bottom, put one half on the other side's tunnels, and have it so you move minitures around the exposed underground tunnels and the main bit, swapping between the boards at the manhole covers, which should match up to the tunnels on the other. If you want sewer combat patrol/kill team/battle, just take off both tops for a truly epic kill team/ combat patrol.

what do you think?
    Last edited by avatar of khaine; June 21st, 2008 at 18:35.
    Avatar's Arena #3 let the games begin!
    The Outsider And Kae'Tyr-necron fluff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)