Assembling the Beast - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x5)

Assembling the Beast

Having just bought An'ggrath the Unbound I was a little flummoxed by the sheer scope of everything. The sheer scale of everything compared to a normal Workshop creation. So, I started out by getting every piece and washing it in soapy water. Then, I used clippers to get away most of the larger pieces of flash. Now, I am sitting with kind of, membranous, flash hanging about a milimetre off the wings, and some rather bad mould lines. But this is nothing a file cant fix.

But the main thing I'm worried about is assembly. As this is my first FW model I am a little (no, very) cautious, I do not want to mess this up. So, does anyone have any tips? If anyone has already built this model can they help?

Thanks in advance

~(Archy)~

omgitsduane:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archnomad
    Well I picked up my first model when I was 7.

I misunderstood that... ALOT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not built this model myself, a suggestion that may help would be to blu/white tac it all together before doing any gluing, would give you a good idea of exactly what you have to do. Good look with your model, and i hope to see some pics when its done
    Back in the zone!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

I've never done FW, bud, just wanted to wish you best of luck.

Tekore

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I have done some forge world models and I can say the most important thing to do is to plan ahead. Don't just go at it in the way you would put a normal model together. Think about how all of the parts will come together and consider if any of them will need special attention. I think you would be best to start with the body. Trim it and get it ready for all the other parts to be glued to it.

Check very carefully how well all the various parts fit and see what pieces need to be stuck on first. For example you do not want to find that when you try to glue the arm on to the body that the wings are in the way and you have to remove them. I strongly suggest that you pin the parts together so that they will be strong.

Also remember to take your time with it. I found that I rushed some work on my Hierophant and now I have to go back and fix the mistake which I know will be very hard and time consuming. Also do look into what base you should give it. If you want to use it in 40K then you could probably fit it on three CD's glued together, you can get blank CD's cheap and in bulk from computer stores. Don't forget to pin it to it's base as well. You will find the base will be alot of fun as the modle is very big there is plenty of space on the base to make all kinds of bloody, Chaos type happenings or generally lots of scope to create a tiny interesting landscape.

I don't know what state the whip is in. You will find that if you heat it up you can bend it. You can also correct any parts that are warped by heating them too. To do this use a hair dryer on the parts. Be careful that any small or light weight parts such as the whip isn't blown away and lost. Chech how hot the part is as you heat it and then when it gets a little bendy you can use your fingers to reposition it. Then you must dip it into some ice water (water with ice in it). This will cool it down and make it hold it's new position. Beware not to simply heat and change the shape of parts because you are in the mood, only do it if you really need to correct a problem.

Hope this helps to solve any problems you may encounter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x5)

Rightyho, well, heres the current line of production (Im mostly putting this up for myself, but yeah )

Green=Done
    Blue=Currently Working On
    Black= To be done

Unpack model
    Check all pieces are there
    Wash model in soapy water
    Resculpt new tooth as old one broke off (it was actually easier to sculpt a new fang, than to refit the old one)
    Clean off the flash
    File off the mold lines
    Use Blue Tac to check positioning
    Pin larger areas
    Attatch To Base
    Attatch Shoulder Pad to Arm
    Attatch Whip Lengths to Whip Arm
    Attatch Lower Jaw to Face
    Attatch Wings to Body (Make them detatchable)
    Attatch Axe hand to Arm
    Attatch Whip Hand to Arm
    Attatch Plethora of Spiky Things
    Convert Base
    Undercoat
    Paint

This post is going to show where I currently am with the model =) Sort of like a blog =)

As to other Questions: Leech he already comes with a base specially designed to go with him, seems a shame to waste it.

Pinning will be essential. However, am I perfectly all right to pin FW things? No air bubbles and sudden exploding of models etc? Just worried.

Any ideas how to make the wings detatchable? They're 10 and a half inches broad, I dont want to have to carry him all in one piece.

About the whip, a hairdryer? Alright, how long should I leave it for being blasted?

Tekore and dan, thank you =)

All the best

~{Archy}~
    omgitsduane:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archnomad
    Well I picked up my first model when I was 7.

I misunderstood that... ALOT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread