The Ultimate CoD Board -- WIP Thread - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

The Ultimate CoD Board -- WIP Thread

I have gone ahead with my plans to build "The Ultimate Board," detailed in this thread. The gist of it is that I'm building a 5x4' Cities of Death board with modular buildings, some roads, a couple canals, and a subterranean tunnel system.

This thread will be a combination of a project log and a how-to for any future board-builders.

I surmise that for this project I will require several materials:

- 8x4' length of 1/4"-thick plywood
    - hot foam cutting knife
    - about 24 feet of 1x2 boards (North American 1x2's, I don't know what they're called elsewhere)
    - a power drilling apparatus, and screws
    - my Dremel tool and a range of useful bits
    - a couple sheets of 1.5"-thick pink polystyrene
    - a bunch of wood glue
    - one or two hundred neodymium magnets
    - some high performance spackling paste
    - plaster
    - balsa wood I'm guessing

And, once I get to the end, paint and stuff like that. Fortunately I have almost all of these materials in my possession; the only things I've yet to purchase are the foam and a hot knife. Not looking forward to buying one of those; they're expensive.

PART ONE -- BASIC CONSTRUCTION

Not the most exciting part, although buying wood in any size you can think of is pretty amazing. Today I went to Home Depot and bought a 8x4' piece of plywood, had them cut it down to 5x4 (they do it for free!), and also picked up some 1x2's (physical dimensions: 3/4" width x 1.5" height) to line the bottom of the plywood.

So, with plans in hand, I assemble the base of the board... which actually doesn't require any plans.

*In the background you can see part of my current 8x4 board, and my glorious Vostroyans.

Some cutting and a few screws later, I've added a frame to the bottom of the board. This gives it support and also helps prevents warping:

I suspect progress will not advance much further until I get a hot knife and the foam, but I'll update this thread as I work.

Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Looking good, but I would advise not using a hot foam cutter, just use a sharp box cutter or x-acto knife it makes for much more percision and workable cuts.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

Consider me signed up. I can't wait to see this come along.

Tekore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by gauss_storm View Post
    Looking good, but I would advise not using a hot foam cutter, just use a sharp box cutter or x-acto knife it makes for much more percision and workable cuts.
    I thought so too and so for the entirety of my last board project (you could find a WIP thread if you looked hard enough) I used a fine-toothed wood saw, a big kitchen knife, and some sandpaper, AND IT WENT HORRIBLY. Maybe it's the density of the foam I buy or something, but I'd really rather just spend the $60-70 on a nice hot knife.
    Last edited by The Salmon Thief; June 22nd, 2008 at 04:46.
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x2)

While I wait to get foam and other things, here's something I don't know the answer to: how should I do the roads?

A side view of the board will look like this:

Buildings/etc
    ----------------
    Top layer of foam
    -----------------
    Bottom layer of foam
    -----------------

Within the foam I will carve out the tunnel system and canals, which means the roads (and buildings on bases) will have to sit on top of sometimes exposed tunnels. The effect of this is that the roads have to be another layer in themselves, so that they can be taken off the top off the board.

I was thinking of being fancy and casting tiles from plaster and putting them together on plasticard or some other material to make road sections, which would have magnets in the bottom so that the section could easily snap into place on the board.

What I didn't realize until now is that, since I want everything to be able to be taken off the top to access the tunnels below (and to be able to use the tunnels as a board by themselves), I could actually have a modular road arrangement. If I divided it off into straights and intersections -- like you'd have in a city builder video game or something -- and everything was uniformly built, I think I could easily move around the roads. Originally I was only planning to be able to change the building layout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by The Salmon Thief View Post
    I thought so too and so for the entirety of my last board project (you could find a WIP thread if you looked hard enough) I used a fine-toothed wood saw, a big kitchen knife, and some sandpaper, AND IT WENT HORRIBLY. Maybe it's the density of the foam I buy or something, but I'd really rather just spend the $60-70 on a nice hot knife.
    The problem there is I you werent using a fine enough of a blade, foam cutters tend to cut the foam in really strange ways and its hard to get a straight cut. Try them both out on some test foam and see what you like the best, it's all about being comfortable with your tools.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Okay, I have come up with a solution to your whole modular roads question. I am guessing that your bottom layer of foam is where you have carved out your tunnels and whatnots. I have two solutions and a concern.

Solution 1- modular road, modular tunnels
    --in this solution, you build the tunnels and roads as modular setups. As with any modular road/wall/river, you need to have it laid out so that it can line up with any similar block. The means that all paths would have to enter/exit the tile from the center of an edge, at an equal width.
    Once you have the entrances and so forth marked off, you would have to line up the road to the tunnels. This would be easy- every road tile has an access to the lower tunnels in the middle of the tile, and vise-versa on the underground sections.

Solution 2- i don't know what to call this
    --in this solution, the roads and tunnels line up, one under the other. This is somewhat less realistic, but might be easier. In this case, all you have to do is use the manhole-cover like a pull tab and lift the road out of it's modular section to expose a tunnel. If you wanted, you could even make "blunts", that fit in where the road would be, to create a smooth surface without the road.

Concern- we do it because we care
    If you are planning to lift away the upper sections of the board to get to the tunnels below, what are you going to do with any models, or terrain, on the lifted section? Precariously balanced models will topple off, slide and shift, and generally make life miserable. Plus, what do you do when you need both tiles (ie- a squad fighting above a squad fighting below)? You would have to lift and replace the tile each phase, it would really slow the game down. It's sadly simpler to just make two tables, or have a double-tiered table, instead of having the features flush with one another. Besides, on a modular board, you lose out on the fun of an underground. Undergrounds are cool because you can have basements and cave-ins and such. Modular just means that you have a spot to stick models so that they can't be shot while they run around. I typically hate all but the best modeled tunnel systems because they detract from the actual tactics of the game.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    Okay, I have come up with a solution to your whole modular roads question. I am guessing that your bottom layer of foam is where you have carved out your tunnels and whatnots. I have two solutions and a concern.

Solution 1- modular road, modular tunnels
    --in this solution, you build the tunnels and roads as modular setups. As with any modular road/wall/river, you need to have it laid out so that it can line up with any similar block. The means that all paths would have to enter/exit the tile from the center of an edge, at an equal width.
    Once you have the entrances and so forth marked off, you would have to line up the road to the tunnels. This would be easy- every road tile has an access to the lower tunnels in the middle of the tile, and vise-versa on the underground sections.
    This is a good idea, but one I don't think will work, which I'll detail below...

Solution 2- i don't know what to call this
    --in this solution, the roads and tunnels line up, one under the other. This is somewhat less realistic, but might be easier. In this case, all you have to do is use the manhole-cover like a pull tab and lift the road out of it's modular section to expose a tunnel. If you wanted, you could even make "blunts", that fit in where the road would be, to create a smooth surface without the road.
    I thought about that too, but what's the point of having a tunnel layout that matches the road layout? Like you say, it just detracts from the tactics involved with CoD games.

Concern- we do it because we care
    If you are planning to lift away the upper sections of the board to get to the tunnels below, what are you going to do with any models, or terrain, on the lifted section? Precariously balanced models will topple off, slide and shift, and generally make life miserable. Plus, what do you do when you need both tiles (ie- a squad fighting above a squad fighting below)? You would have to lift and replace the tile each phase, it would really slow the game down. It's sadly simpler to just make two tables, or have a double-tiered table, instead of having the features flush with one another. Besides, on a modular board, you lose out on the fun of an underground. Undergrounds are cool because you can have basements and cave-ins and such. Modular just means that you have a spot to stick models so that they can't be shot while they run around. I typically hate all but the best modeled tunnel systems because they detract from the actual tactics of the game.
    The models-on-top-of-lifted-off-sections is a problem I still haven't found a solution to. You have a good point with tunnels just being a means to hide or whatever, but I thought about then when thinking about where to put models and decided on a layout that I think is good. It's not an immense system, and only has 8 access points throughout the board. You can see in the photo I posted holding the drawn out plans in a previous post, the tunnels are outlined in red. I think the layout I have planned will allow for some fun gameplay but not detract from anything... what I'm imagining is not a fully divided game between the above- and below-ground boards.

I'm definitely not building the top to depend on the tunnels, so if they end up not working at all for practical or strategic reasons, then whatever. It's still cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x2)

I'm waiting on a foam cutter, and then I can start carving out the tunnels.

I ran into an issue with the layout I'd designed after I noticed that not every CoD building we have will fit on an 8x8 base -- not even close, actually. So I completely overhauled the road layout with a few 12x12" spots, some 10x10's, and some 8x8's. I like this layout more, anyway...

I've outlined the roads in black and the canal in blue.

I've also made some changes to my plans... in addition to the 4"-wide utility tunnels, I've added a series of 2"-wide storm drains that will be filled to relative ankle level or so with water (clear resin). These storm drains will run directly underneath the main Y-shaped road, with two other storm drains running perpendicular to the stem of the Y. These new storm drains make for all sorts of modeling fun, like where they drain into the main canal, and little grates on the streets with water running through them.

Now that the bottom half of the board will be occupied by almost twice as many tunnels, it's pretty much impossible to go through with my original plan of just lifting off individual buildings and road sections. This, really, would also have been a pain to build properly.

So, I've just done what people suggested from the beginning and made plans for an entirely separate city/road board which I will build on 1/4" MDF board. It will be made to sit perfectly on top of the tunnel board, with all the manholes and access points matching up and everything. This way it's also easier to just take the top off and play a combat patrol game in the tunnels.
    Last edited by The Salmon Thief; June 27th, 2008 at 03:03.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x2)

I finally found the time to begin serious work on this, so today I went to Home Depot and picked up a sheet of foam (I didn't have quite enough).

I originally planned to cut all the tunnels out of the foam with my hot foam knife, but that would take... days. At best. It works nicely and doesn't make a mess, but it just takes forever... so I put a fine wood blade on my jigsaw. It actually worked very well.

What I've got at this point is two layers of foam cut up into pieces that form the outline of all the tunnels and canals and things... in the last photo I outlined the tunnels in brown, main canal in dark blue, and storm drains/little canals in light blue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. January 27th, 2013, 23:50
  2. February 6th, 2012, 13:46
  3. September 1st, 2008, 08:54
  4. September 1st, 2008, 07:33
  5. September 1st, 2008, 04:27
  6. August 15th, 2008, 08:31
  7. August 14th, 2008, 09:05
  8. June 22nd, 2008, 14:18
  9. June 22nd, 2008, 07:07