Need Advice: Script - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Advice: Script

How do you guys do script? I see a lot of it, especially on power armor, books, land raiders, etc. Is it really just a fine brush and a steady hand (because I for one am really hoping there some neat trick to it beyond that)? Please, any advice will be helpful.

Two's to kill. Ahh, sweet sweet music.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    215 (x4)

You could also try a very fine pen. You can get these at your local art store

LO's thread lurker warhammer madman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x2)

people actually write it with a pen! OMG thats so cool
    click>the warhammer world needs you!<click

If someone helps you REP them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I use pens quite a bit for script. I really like the micron pigma pens .005 size.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

If you're going the brush route then if you use a thin paint and move it in the direction of the writing but not steadily so it goes up and down slightly then you get a good effect quickly. You do need a fine point though.
    Up, up and away!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x3)

a very fine brush. I consider pigment pens to be cheating. If i'ts not a brush (or toothpick) it shouldn't be used.
    How dare you speak out against LO! I shall beat you with a giant inflatable duck and then ban you to the lowest level of hell! ~Karmoon
    My recruitment link!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos877 View Post
    a very fine brush. I consider pigment pens to be cheating. If i'ts not a brush (or toothpick) it shouldn't be used.
    That is interesting... How can one cheat at painting? Is there only one way of doing something? To me it is simply a tool that gets a job done. I have found that in quite a few cases the pigma pen allowed for much better control over a brush. Now that is not to say that the brush can't be used or that a pigma pen always needs to be used - but rather I find what works best for me and use that method.

There are definitely times and places on the model where you won't be able to get a pigma pen on the model. In that case a brush is needed.

When using a brush the most important factor is using a brush that has a very good point on it. This will allow for nice clean lines. Also don't overload the brush with paint. Wick most of it off before applying.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

83 (x2)

Theres a situation for everything..
    if you can do a line better than your brush with a magicmarker, go for it.

looses a bit in the "accomplishment" section, but each to his own.

keep it simple, dont iceskate up-hill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by arachnid View Post
    looses a bit in the "accomplishment" section, but each to his own.

This is an interesting comment. I am taking it that you are looking down upon using other tools in painting by your use of "" around accomplishment. If you can do something with a pigma pen that is both faster and better looking than what you can accomplish with a brush - how does that lessen your "accomplishment" of the project?

Just a sidenote - micron pigma pens use an acrylic ink - so the material (the ink) is ver similar to any other ink you may already use in your painting. It is more of a matter of using a different instrument to apply it. One that allows for better control.

Not to mention they are not automatically geared to perfect application. That takes practice as anything else does. I just find them to be easier and neater to use than a brush. This is especially true with flat or very open areas on a figure.

Cheers,

-Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

83 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by slorak View Post
    This is an interesting comment. I am taking it that you are looking down upon using other tools in painting.....

-Mike
    ofcourse not, as was written, theres an application for everything in the househould when it comes to arts.

Here's a question to clarify what i meant:

you paint 2 models both turn out the exact same quality, indistinguishable..
    one of which you go the most comfortable and quickest route possible to acheive maximum quality..

the other you strive to challenge yourself and push the boundaries of your skills by using mediums or tools that may be unneccesarily difficult, to complete the model..

looking at the two, which of them will give you the greatest sense of accomplishment?

For me its the latter, knowing ive "braved the odds" so to speak, and probably learned something in the process.

P.s pigment pens are more like brushes than pens anyway, i use some myself at times, although i dont like it when they
    start randomly dribbling when they get worn.. sometimes on a work.. a brush will only muck up if i do.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast