Big Mek Booma - P.I.P. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ein
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    472 (x6)

Big Mek Booma - P.I.P.

After what has been an exciting few days, I'm back and paintin'. I worked a bit on cleaning my converted Big Mek up before priming this morning, primarily greenstuffing closed any gaps or seams on the model and giving the banner waver a bionic eye.

As far as priming goes, I've been experimenting a little bit recently with white instead of black. The reason for this is that I've just started to get the hang of washes, now that the new Citadel ones are out, and I've discovered that layering on thin washes of darker colors over white primer does a really nice job with ork skin. Additionally, I've decided to skip trying any NMM shenanigans with this model - as much as I would love to have him up to presentation standards like that, Booma's primarily a model for me to play with, and my previous attempts at NMM have been below average. However, metallics look a bit poor over white primer, meaning I needed a black undercoat for the detail parts.

I set out this morning with a can of black and white primer and had at the model. I've left the parts mostly separate on the model, so I can pull them off, prime them, and paint them with ease. What I basically did this morning was spray items like the backpack and grot's robotic arm down with black primer, while doing the rest up in white. After priming white, I grabbed a brush, thinned out some black paint, and started blacking in the darker parts of the model so I would have a suitable undercoat...

Since priming, I've devoted most of my efforts to his head and face just to try and get the skintones approximately right. This is basically just thinned down Vallejo Dark Green, applied in three coats, followed by a little wash of the Citadel Thraka Green. I'm pretty happy with the way his skin looks.

The one big lens is giving me a bit of trouble because I am trying to get a smooth gradient from dark blue to light and it's a bit... evasive. It's not as exaggerated as I pictured when I was throwing the colors onto it - I need it to be a bit more contrasty. I'll probably try it again. Other than that, I like how he looks, so I'm going to get a start on painting the rest of him tomorrow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x3)

By Gork and Mork! that is incredible! you must be the best ever user of washes ever.
    How dare you speak out against LO! I shall beat you with a giant inflatable duck and then ban you to the lowest level of hell! ~Karmoon
    My recruitment link!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks very nice!
    Excellent job for sure.

LO's thread lurker warhammer madman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x2)

verry nice does the art (so far seen) jusice i have been waching your other booma thread and he looks soo sweet...
    click>the warhammer world needs you!<click

If someone helps you REP them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks awesome, your layering is fantastic!
    Back in the zone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats a very nice ork head heh.

Ein
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    472 (x6)

Been painting a little bit more - got his power claw arm done, and started on the backpack a bit. The backpack in particular is a fiddly bit to paint just because of how hard it is to get at all the nooks and crannies. If I had half a brain, I would have left those coils as separate pieces. In any event, I just want to mention how lovely these new Citadel washes are. Most of the metals on these things are done just with boltgun metal, a wash of gryphonne sepia, and a black wash.

I'm still working on cleaning both of them up, but I think the claw in particular has a nice tone going on - oily and rusty, but not too much, so it looks... maintained, let's say. Those little coils on the inside of the forearm made from springs were masked off when I was priming, since I figured no thinning of paint would properly maintain the detail there. Instead, it managed to avoid getting primed, and I've simply hit them up with the sepia and black washes to make them mostly match.

The backpack coils are something I'm still not happy with. I really wanted them to look more glowy, but it's very hard to manage any kind of painting on them just because of how little space there is between them for a brush. It looks okay, though I may try a thin white highlight on the coils to make them look a bit brighter later on - depends how brave I feel.

Going to get a start on Booma's body now, and the hammer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

thats looking ace there. and your ork skin colour is very nice. cant wait to see more!

Ein
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

472 (x6)

So I buckled down and got most, if not all of Booma done.

I got snap-happy with the camera because I am happy with how he came out, so there's a bunch of photos below.

At this point, I'd love any feedback on things I should look at or touch up before I varnish him. The banner grot needs some painting love next. I'm still not happy with how the coils look, but I'm not going to work more on those because they are infuriating to paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

You just inspired me to go through with making my 40k ork army! Thank you very much. REPS!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast