Help with Orks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with Orks

Need some advice on painting my 40K ork force (bare in mind theres A LOT of infantry models and thankfully my mate is going to paint my vehicles/characters for me.

I've heard of these new Foundation paints, how different are they from the normal ones that GW sold? And if I were to use them solely, what colours would people reccomend for 40K Orks? I don't see many that would suit the rusted look of Ork weaponry nor any that would suit Ork leather. As for the green I see two options "Gretchin Green" which looks like the colour of slime and Orkhide Shade which looks incredibly dark for Ork skin.

Also note I intend to utilise the Army Painter Strong Tone quickshade stuff in order to shade/varnish the models quickly, otherwise I'll be there forever painting up these things and I have little painting talent/patience as it is! lol!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

farmergiles65, I have moved your post into a new thread, as it had very little to do with the thread in which you had posted it originally, and it is somewhat unfair to derail someone else's plea for assistance with your own problems.

Hopefully you will find some assistance here.

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    215 (x4)

Orkhide over black primer followed by a lighter drybrush of Gnarloc green works pretty well to establish a base. You can then follow up with some scorpion green mixed with a little bleached bone for highlights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

198 (x4)

The difference between the foundation paints and the normal ones is that they contain a lot more pigment - giving a far better coverage but also being a bit thicker. It is necessary to wash your brush regularly as the tend to dry a lot faster, and a lot of people water them down.
    Used primarily to provide a solid basecoat for your model, I am a big fan of them (especially as I like to get to a white coat from a black undercoat).
    For orks I would use the Orkhide Green as a basecoat and then drybrush up - either snot green or goblin green. Keep it simple and drybrush as much as possible for orks - makes them look good.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

One technique that i have been experimenting with involves the new washes. For a quick 3 step process that looks solid table top quality. I would suggest starting with a base of goblin green, and then a heavy dry brush of scorpion green followed by a heavy wash with the new thraka green over the whole thing. Also for browns, a really nice combo is bestial brown, and then mix a tiny drop of bestial brown into the new badab black wash, it should look like a brownish grey type mud color and just slather it all over...looks fantastic.

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some nice ideas, although all involve more painting with brushes which I'm trying to keep to a minimum coz I suck at Art and its hard enough painting details on models as it is. I'm dreading the burnas and lootas to come yet.

Orkhide Green sounds like a good start though for the skin. Hopefully then simply applying the army painter varnish stuff will shade the green nicely to give me a satisfactory result.

And for the moderator: The original post was called painting/advice or something like that. That seems pretty generic at first glance so it seemed ok to post it there at the time, but fair play for moving it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

You could hit them up with a green primer, paint on the clothes, metals and then shade them -that would be quick.
    Up, up and away!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did consider that yes. Problem was before I discovered the Army Painter I'd already purchased some Black Primer and I didn't want to have wasted my money on it! So I've currently sprayed my Ork boyz (100 models and thats not even the leaders/heavy weapons/elites etc, bloody hell!) black and will just have to take the time to paint on the basecoat in full. Least the quickshade will disguise my abysmall painting skills.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

211 (x5)

Here is how i did my orks. Black primer, orkhide green, 50/50 catachan green and goblin green and Finally a inking of thraka green. I dont really bother with highlighting since i am rubbish at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully just orkhide green will suffice! Trying to keep time taken down! Just need foundation paints for the ork leather, the weapons/guns and the bases.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast