Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Idea: I have parts of an IG army that I work on from time to time. I based them on the troopers portrayed in Band of Brothers (E-Company, 506th PIR). Recently I decided that I was going to make them some terrain, and it was going to based on the attack on Foy, Belgium. So, I'm going to try to make some village houses to fit into that scene.
Pizza box, cutting utensils, glue
Lotsa cardboard. Amazin', when you look, just how much you have.
A the obligatory Coat hanger
Crap photos cos my girlfriends away for the night, and she has the digital camera with her, so I had to use my cell phone.
Next Step: Glue some stuff togeather and hope it looks like a house
Ok, so did some work last night and today on my house, which is actually going to be two houses side by side.
First, I took two empty paper tissue boxes and glued them together. This will form the bulk of my structure, and was easier then actually building the walls and stuff myself.
Hard as it will be to see, the ends of these boxes were not nice and flat, and then theres the obvious gap where the two boxes join together in the middle. I decided to cover this over so that it would be easier to put details onto (like doors and stuff). To do this I roughly measured out two bits of thin card to match up with the ends of the glued boxes, and then glued them on. Here I found it a good thing to weight the boxes down while I waited for the glue to dry properly.
Ended up leaving those drying overnight and through some work time. They were nice and stuck, but the corners looked a little nasty, so I decided to cover them up with a "brace". Here I have cut out bits of card, the same height as the boxes, and about 2cm wide, with a line drawn down the middle. I took my handy dandy craft knife and scored the card down that center line, then folded it so that it was all bent around and stuffs.
Made four of these in total, and then glued them down to cover up the corners of the boxes, so that there aren't any unsightly gaps. These will also be made to look like wooden beams on the finished buildings.(Hard to tell in the small pic, but thats a brace glued onto one of the corners)
And thats where I'm up to. Still trying to decide what I'm going to use a coat hanger for on this. Probably some kind of roof decorations.
Next Step: Add in more decorations, including, but not limited to, doors, windows, wooden stuff on the outside, and such.
So, today I started work on my details. This included the front door frame, andsome latticing thingy that I've got in my head that is from old timey houses.
To start with I measured out a strip to fit down each side of the house. Its about 1cm wide, and goes the whole length of the wall. This should be put below half way down each of the walls, as seen in the pic.
Next, I started adding in the latticy thing. Basicly, I cut a bunch of lengths of card, about 5cm long and 1cm wide, and then cut their ends so that they were at an angle. I tried for about a 45 degree angle, but I didn't try to hard to get that, only tried to make it look ok. Here I have started, and you can see how I did it.
Here is a pic of the finished side. Its not a good pic, cos the light was different and crap when I took it, but you can see what it looks like. This is done on both sides of the house now.
Im thinking that I might need to add this kind of thing to the back of the house as well, but we'll see. Haven't decided for sure yet.
Finally, made an attempt at a door frame. Not sure if I like it or will use it. At the moment it seems a little simple, but I've got to add a door handle and score in some texture to represent panels.
And thats where I'm at.
Next Step: More details. I think I'll add some windows to the sides, and decide on whats going on the back of the building.