Pre-watering down paints - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    S-N
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Pre-watering down paints

This is mainly just a quick question, but I was wondering if pre-watering down your paint pot is a good idea? I'm always annoyed at having to attempt to pick out the perfect amount of paint from the GW paint pot than have to worry about mixing it with the right consistency of water. I always end up using too much.

So, my question is, would you advise watering down the paint in the pot ahead of time, so I can simply paint out-of-pot? The only real reason I'm asking is that I've never really heard of it.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

I wouldn't personally, had a friend try it and he ruined the whole pot of paint, made it too runny, if you do each time, you can get it just right, if you do it in the pot, you may stuff up.
    Miss Spam Master 2009
    The Briny Series: Urban War Beginnings | Cygnar
    Thrallstudios

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

hi heres a bit of advice for u mate

i use a ratio of 1 part paint to 2 parts water .......with strong pigment paint ( not whites oranges or reds and yellows )

for then i use 2 parts paint to 1 part water ( requires several coats but well worth it i can tell you)

but having said that it all depends on you some people water down more than that and paint even more coats, it just depends on what suits you.

hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

The very idea scares me, remember that if you pre dilute the paint the consistency will not remain constant through out it's life. Doing it on the palette just seems easier and safer.
    Up, up and away!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x1)

I wouldn't because there is just as much chance of the putting to much water into the pot as there is when you mix it seperatly into paint. Just (when mixing paint and water) mix in a small amount of water to the paint and gradually add more untill you get the consistency you want..

-Dwayne
    CHK CHK BOOM!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Mkae yourself a wet palette if you can or buy one, so that the mixed paint lasts longer - it consists essentially of a semi-permeable membrane that keeps the paint moist for longer, and as an added bonus, it's easier to fo things like wet-blending and feathering..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    467 (x8)

Exactly as all the others have said, there is danger.

However, I have a couple of paints that are old and near the bottom of the pot. Naturally, they have dried up a lot and are really thick. Into these, i put a bit of water, pour out the excess (the paint doesn't come out as it is so thick) then stir it with an old match stick. This extends the life of a couple of paints that I use rarely and still have. But, if I mess it up, then it is no great problem as I'm near the end and would have to buy a new one soon anyway if I didn't do it.
    Cervantes: In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd.

S-N
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Thanks for the replies. I suppose I'll just have to live with using a little more paint.

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by S-N View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I suppose I'll just have to live with using a little more paint.
    I occasionally add a couple of drops of ink to a paint pot, especially if I know I'll be using a lot of that colour. When painting a Blood Angel army I had a pot of red that was really heavily thinned with red ink (Ahhh... inks- I'll miss you). It let me paint straight from the pot with really thin coats.

I guess what I'm saying is- occasionally it's really handy for particular paints but I'm not sure I'd make it standard.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

85 (x4)

I water down my paints in the pots slightly - just a couple drops every now and then to prevent them from drying up (which happens with a closed lid, only a bit slower).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast