Conversion: Leman Russ Exterminator "B" - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x4)

Conversion: Leman Russ Exterminator "B"

Hi!
    About a week ago, I posted in the house rules discussion an idea for the "Exterminator B." Instead of standard heavy bolters, it instead had a choice between mounting twin-linked heavy stubbers or twin-linked storm bolters. I've started the conversion on it, though I'm stlightly stuck waiting for two more stubbers to arrive; I'm short, so I had to order a couple bits. All I've done so far is the hull, turret, and sponson conversions, haven't built the rest of the tank yet...so...here's what I've got so far.

Little note about the green stuff: It looks blobby now, but when its fully dried and trimmed up, its going to look like those dust-covers you'd find on all sorts of things, such as a gearshifter. The splotty green stuff by the plate is just some residue I need to remove...
    Oh, and yeah, that's diamond plate on the sponson there. Its going to top both sponsons and the track guards. And this thing is going to be COVERED in ammo cans.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's looking really good! I like the diamond plate idea!
    "When Space Wolves call upon Russ or the Emperor in battle, it is to witness the deeds of Men and to judge The Fallen."
    - Meditations upon the Fang

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

208 (x4)

Thanks, Bluebird!

Got a bit more done on it today. The missing stubbers are shipped as of yesterday, so, I'm waiting for them, mostly. The plate on the side of the turret is magnetic and is removable to represent Extra Armor. I'm going to be putting plating around the rest of the turret as well as on various sections of the hull, I think, just to go with the "up-armored" aspect I'm going for in the look.

I'm not going to win any awards for my green stuff, but, Hey, it'll look good after its all trimmed.
    Last edited by Zeewulf; July 29th, 2008 at 18:57.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

208 (x4)

And now, it's ready to paint.
    Except for the missing two stubbers, of course.

This is just a general layout of where everything's gonna go on it.
    Still trying to figure out where to put that pack on the rear...I think I'll hang it off the box under the barrel.
    I'm leaving the extra packs and whatnot off the majority of the back of the turret because it's magnetized around for things like Improved Comms, smoke launchers, and an HK missile.
    Last edited by Zeewulf; July 30th, 2008 at 15:11.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like all the stuff on it! It makes it look like its in the middle of a campaign.

As for that extra pack, I have no idea!
    "When Space Wolves call upon Russ or the Emperor in battle, it is to witness the deeds of Men and to judge The Fallen."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks great, all the little details make it so much more characterful, keep up the good work!

Boris for PM! Go Bojo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

208 (x4)

Well, thank you! And since I'm currently on a roll (I do love making tanks, after all), here's one more picture....with the base camo scheme down!

On a related note, anyone know how to make it look dusted and sooty?
    Last edited by Zeewulf; July 30th, 2008 at 18:48.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you do that camo scheme by priming white then drybrushing brown? Or did you spray brown too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

208 (x4)

Pretty close, yeah. I actually primered black, then sprayed on "Sand" color over top of that...And then I custom-mixed my own "Afrika Mustard" (which is the color I normally spray) and practiced with the airbrush a bit. I think I watered the paint too much, but considering its only the third time I've airbrushed camo, I think it came out alright....not as good as the Vulture's camo did, though. The spottyness of the camo will be going away as I add more drybrushing and highlighting type paint, as well as marking up the exterior of the tank.

Normally, what I do is just spray down my base color after primering, and then once it's fully dried, I use masking tape and paper towels to create a camo pattern and then spray the next color over top, then peel it off. This has been a bit of unique fun. And besides, I need the practice with my airbrush! My goal is to airbrush a dragon's head onto my Vulture before the year's out!

Also, had an idea....
    The sand here is really, really, really fine...I'm wondering if I take it, mix it with some glue, and then brush it along the bottom edges of the tank, if it'll make it look as if it's been running around a desert for awhile?
    Last edited by Zeewulf; July 31st, 2008 at 11:20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeewulf View Post

Also, had an idea....
    The sand here is really, really, really fine...I'm wondering if I take it, mix it with some glue, and then brush it along the bottom edges of the tank, if it'll make it look as if it's been running around a desert for awhile?
    It sounds like it could work, but I'd test it first, you don't want to ruin such an awesome tank!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast