Lava River - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lava River

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lava River

Aight, so to go along with my new desolation, blackened earth board, I want to get a lava river, I read what I could from the only place I had seen lava used: Here

Right, so on the plus side, modelling lava is in a way easier than water, as it is allowed to be quite wavey and uneven, not really like normal water rivers. How exactly should I go along with modelling lava? Mainly what colours and such.

Also, in the link above, Guant used hot glue... I thought that would melt through the foamboard... How did he do it? I plan to use white glue, but if hot glue is a better option, then all the better for me. If I do use white glue, how thick of a layer should I use?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Hot glue wont melt the foam when it is'nt to hot. Meaning you should use a low temp glue gun or not leave your glue gun on for too long. It is a much better alternative.

As for painting layer alot of different blacks, oranges, reds, and yellows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for quick answer.

How should I paint the layers (in what order)?

Random question: What are mold lines?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

103 (x5)

Alright first mold lines are the lines where the two pieces of the mold or cast when making a model connect and a little bit of plastic (or metal) get into that joint and make little lines on the model.

Second, I'm not much of a painter but how I would do it (I've never painted lava, I've painted fire though) is base coat it black, then start at the edges with a dark red and dry brush the whole thing but leave the paint lght around the edge and keep it semi black. Then add another layer of lighter red (even lighter of a dry brush) then put on your orange and and a very very light dry brush of yellow.

Don't take my word on the painting advice though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x4)

Alright man heres everything i know about lava and such. First off the glue will not melt you foam if you use a LOW TEMP glue gun. Infact I suggest you do as they are less likely to burn your fingers as Ive had done. Use the glue to make fill in your river bed once its carved and such. To make some effects as the glue is drying pull up at it with a toothpick, if you dont like the effect you can always melt the glue down again with the tip of the gun. Also try doing the glue in uneven sections allowing each section to dry before gluing the next. This creates lines and dips in the lava surface that help to bring out detail.

Paint wise this is how I painted mine. Use a dark red, like blood red or red with a small drop of black mixed in as your base. Then paint several light layers of orange ontop of the red. The orange should be random and not cover all the red. Now make a wash of orange and red mixed together in any ratio you want(a wash is simply paint watered down so it mvoes like water, ie just add water) Bath this ontop of the lava and flush it into all the crasks. Let it dry kinda and make a bright yellow wash and repeat. When everything is done drying you can always go back and pick out details like the rims of plates and such with yellow and orange. When you like how everything looks make sure its dry and then paint on a coat of glossy craft paint varnish or finish. BAMN, lava and you'll love it. It takes some practice but the best way of doing this is to try.

Hope that helps,
    Guant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ohhh, okay. Unfortunately my painting skills lack the artistic feeling, so I might either have to do some practice runs on waste pieces of foam or just do Gauss' easier scheme.

I know this sounds, very, very nooby, but do I need to paint on top of the glue or the foam underneath? I read a white glue river guide that suggested painting the foam first and then adding the glue... Is this correct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

103 (x5)

Paint the glue in this situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x4)

Paint the glue, not under the glue. Painting water is different and I can explain how to do that also but another time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, so I went out and bought a low temp mini hot glue gun and the corresponding glue sticks.

I made a little test lava river out of some extra styrofoam I have and it didn't melt anything, good!

Right now, the dark red layer in Gauss' sequence of painting is drying.

The only problem is that I'm not sure what shape the river should be, obviously not flat, but my test river is a little like a ruffle's chip with lots of bumps made from the tip of the glue gun... Not really like lava if you ask me.

So what should the glue be like? How do I put it on and how do I paint it corresponding to the design?

*Goes to look at Guant's amazing lava again*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

103 (x5)

Go and look at some pictures of real lava (there are several different kinds of lava) and re melt the glue in sections with the tip of your glue gun and reshape it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast