need painting tips - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need painting tips

ok i just joined librarium online like yesterday so you dont know me at all. Anyway, i was wondering if any of you could give me tips or methods to painting. i've tried in the past but none of my models ever look very good. Is there some there different methods i could try?

"As I dream, so shall it be"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

If you could post some pictures, it would be easier to see what you need help with, or you could describe what you don't like about your paint jobs and we could try to help with that.

Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!! aeroplane's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    569 (x7)

Heya! Welcome to LO! Always great to see new members!

There are plenty of people here that would love to help you out. We do, however, need more info...

What are you trying to paint? Marines, Orcs, Tau, Reaper, Privateer, etc...
    Any particular Army, colorscheme, look, theme that you are trying to achieve?

Photos always help - grab your camera and a lamp, turn the macro mode on, and take some pictures! Direct uploading is not done here, go get a Photobucket account (or other web photo-sharing site) and include them that way.

Looking forward to hearing more from you soon!

My insanely large Chaos Marine Army - look

Thier commander's motto-listen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok no problem, i'll link photos as soon as i upload them. but, just for right now, The thing i hate most about my stuff is that i can never coat correctly, that and the fact that i have really shaky hands. It makes eyes and a few other smaller parts very hard to paint. As far as armies go i am currently painting Space marines, trying to practice painting, but when i get better (hopefully) i am going to work on my tau army, then my Eldar. My main goal is to have my eldar looking the best since i use them the most. But for my SM army, well if you can call it that, the current scheme is chaos black, Blood Red, and Skull white. Again, i'll link pictures as soon as i can. Just saying when i do, dont think thats how all my work on models is, I'm much better at conversions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aliens ate my soul. Chubby_Jedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    358 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by BZenwrath View Post
    ok no problem, i'll link photos as soon as i upload them. but, just for right now, The thing i hate most about my stuff is that i can never coat correctly, that and the fact that i have really shaky hands. It makes eyes and a few other smaller parts very hard to paint. As far as armies go i am currently painting Space marines, trying to practice painting, but when i get better (hopefully) i am going to work on my tau army, then my Eldar. My main goal is to have my eldar looking the best since i use them the most. But for my SM army, well if you can call it that, the current scheme is chaos black, Blood Red, and Skull white. Again, i'll link pictures as soon as i can. Just saying when i do, dont think thats how all my work on models is, I'm much better at conversions.
    O.k, first off welcome to L.O.

Let’s see if we can offer you some help huh?
    Your shaky hands problem could be solved by painting at a table. This will help you prop your elbows up and
    should help you to relax when your painting and keep your painting stuff near to hand (I flop on a bean bag and use a dirty pizza box to put stuff on.)

I was going to write loads but this link would be more useful I think.

GW Online : Warhammer 40,000 : Painting

- Boomer.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I AM BOOMER!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

Paint in a location that lets you adjust your workarea to suit your body..
    i.e dont slouch at a low table or sit in a chair you can't adjust to become comfortable.

Should you feel pain after painting for a while, STOP!
    Think about what hurts and why.. adjust your tools to suit *you*, not the other way around!

(yes, it's worth repeating)

Have ample light, paint primarily at a location with sunlight..
    unless you have a sunlight-bulb..
    fluorescents and regular bulbs tend to skew the colors, your result may then look horrible on the gaming table despite looking good when you painted it.

Take care of your tools, and they will help you learn.
    A badly kept brush will make painting nigh impossible and infuriating, a good one will help you learn faster, and show you the possibilities that you possess.

When in doubt, change your rinse-water.
    keep one cup of water for metallics, and one for regular pigments.

Dont paint out of the pot!
    It means you risk putting bad stuff back in the paint. (like dried flakes and gunk)
    It also means you dry out your paints at a blistering speed from having the cap open.
    It means you always risk that you get that other color from earlier in your skull white pot.

no more paint on the brush?
    Rinse it in the cup before loading it up with paint again!
    you brush doesnt like being caked in old paint.
    You also risk getting dried bits in your strokes, putting lumps on your model.

water down your paint!
    Lumpy, coarse layers may have it's uses, but very rarely.

Learn how to make and use a wet pallette.
    it will extend your paints palette time* from mere minutes to hours.
    (*time before drying out on the pallette)

Patience.

a sidenote:

Preparation is key, without it, you *will* fail, no matter your skill.

make sure the model is trimmed, washed, prepped and primed.
    make sure the pallette is ready and moist.
    make sure the water is fresh and your brushes cleaned.
    Make sure you *want* to paint!

Do this, and the only limits are your imagination, patience and willingness to learn.

At least, this is how I view the matter.

p.s
    point 1 & 2 should help you get rid of most of your shakyness.

P.P.s
    use a finger from the brush-hand as an anchor against the model or its base, i tend to use my pinky.
    helps stabilize your hands and easier to line up a "clean shot".

If something is *really* hard to hit with the brush, do like the snipers:
    a couple of good deep breaths, then one big breath and exhale slowly while you do the crucial stroke.
    irregular and tense breathing can make a good stroke impossible to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow thats a lot of help. That was way more than i was expecting to hear lol. Thank you so much i think that will really help. And just a last few questions. First, When you paint do you do your layering like they tell you to in official website? I've never liked layering because it takes a long time but, i tried it once and it looked a hell of a lot better than my others(still not that great). Last, which methods of washing work best from your experience? I've never washed before...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

a small disclaimer as im not in any way an acrylic guru.
    these are just my experiences from modelpainting, with other experiences from other mediums thrown in.

layering and such:

I'd start with just learning layering, then go on to doing feathering.

Wet-in-wet, or blending as mini-painters like to call it,
    it's.. and i say this from my own perspective.. a needlessly difficult technique to use on a mini..
    firstly the paint itself doesnt lend itself well to it, then there's the scale making it even harder to get good results.

Retarders, extenders and mediums up the wazzoo if youre aiming for consistent results

An oil painting however, now thats a different story.

There are about as many techniques for merging two colors together as there are people with a brush!
    so don't fret, find what works for you, save the rest for another time.
    A good imagination and basic color theory goes a very long way.

Washing..

well there's the new washes from gw if you wish, they fetch some very nice results for it's minimum effort.

a wash is really just paint or ink watered down a tad more than usual to get it to flow into cracks and provide shading, while still tinting the whole surface.

Some people like to add floorpolish and all sorts of voodoo to get different characteristics.

Experimentation to find what suits each situation is neccessary, there is no real recipe for success.

basics though:

paint/ink +

Water..
    no really nasty surprises, try to avoid overloading your brush unless you want the stuff going everywhere its not supposed to, beware of diluting too much or the pigments will separate. a risk of tide-marks exist.

Floor polish..
    seems to bind the pigments better while still keeping surface-tension, creates a good tint of the model without too much pooling or risk of tide-marks as it dries.

washing up liquid..
    well, it breaks the surface, and so it gives less of a tint, but collects easier in cracks and crevices for that stark contrast..
    careful application and small amounts is a must, this gets in everywhere on the model if you're not careful.

Glazes and mediums arent things i mess with really, but in theory they let you thin your paint beyond the point where the pigment and surface tension usually gives out while still making the paint behave normally. allows for smooth and thin coats.

retardants are there to make the paint on the model take longer to dry, letting you blend *much* easier. almost a must if youre not trying to drive yourself crazy.

There are loads of people here that use regular art-products in their painting (such as mediums) that can help you out more on the specifics.

(holy moly, im on fire! ill shut up now before some besserwisser comes along)

Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!! aeroplane's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    569 (x7)

As much as it seems silly, or over-simplifying the help, I suggest this;

Find a paint scheme you like that has a tutorial on the GW site.

Paint a 5 or 10 man squad just like they say how.

Yes, it will be slow. (Speed comes with practice and experience, and nothing else.)

Yes, your minis will not look as good as theirs. (They are painted by professionals who do nothing but paint!)

Yes, sometimes it will be frustrating. Miniatures are small, after all..

BUT ----

You will learn a ton.

The squad will look very good when done.

You will be a better painter when finished.

When you set off to paint another squad, they will be even better!!

A couple of notes;

Layering is a fairly slow technique (as you have found) but it does look good.

Washing is quite easy, especially with the new GW washes. Basically, paint the wash straight from the pot onto the sections of the mini you want shaded. Wait for it to dry. Marvel at how easy it was! (Seriously)

On a completely different note,

Librarium-online is a website used by people all over the world, to whom English may not be their primary language. Proper capitalization, punctuation, sentence structure and all of that type of stuff is very helpful to those members who are not native English speakers. Web-speak and especially l33t is not accepted here -- not that you are using either of those!!

I'm not trying to be a jerk by pointing this out, just pointing out how your posts can be more accessible to all our members.
    Last edited by aeroplane; August 2nd, 2008 at 03:29.
    My insanely large Chaos Marine Army - look

Thier commander's motto-listen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, sorry about the proper english thing. But, Here are some of the pictures I said I'd put up. CC is always welcome. I would like it if you'd point out the worst part of them. Just so i have some opinions from someone but myself.
    http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/c...h/IMG_0320.jpg

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/c...h/IMG_0323.jpg

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/c...h/IMG_0326.jpg

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/c...h/IMG_0329.jpg

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/c...h/IMG_0333.jpg

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/c...h/IMG_0338.jpg

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/c...h/IMG_0344.jpg

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/c...h/IMG_0345.jpg

And yes I know that they are very pitiful attemps...
    Last edited by BZenwrath; August 2nd, 2008 at 05:53.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast