Primer - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As stated, I've never used primer on my models. Should I? If so, what is a good brand within North America?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes you should use primer because it gives a good base to paint on and it will make the paint look better. If your color scheme is the same as the primer then a base coat is easy to apply, but if not then use white or flat black primer. Metals are always best when painted over black and colors are best when painted over white. The best primer in my experience are the Citadel primers. Just because a cheap primer says it is safe on plastics doesn't mean it won't melt your mini's, i lost a squad of terminators that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you use primer, you are better human
    Just joking, its very useful, 'caus the paint last longer at mini if you use the primer.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Priming is essential, as Canuckle_head mentioned. Your painting results will improve a lot if you prime your minis before painting them.

Personally, i prefer to prime white and create the base color with ink washes (but as far as i know few people do this).

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ArchonAstaroth@Jun 23 2003, 08:58
    Priming is essential, as Canuckle_head mentioned. Your painting results will improve a lot if you prime your minis before painting them.

Personally, i prefer to prime white and create the base color with ink washes (but as far as i know few people do this).

jwu
    Hmm... ive never heard of doing it this way before, sounds interesting but why don't you just use regular paints?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dammit, im getting used to using quotes so bare with me.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What!?
    You first prime the models, and then you ink wash them!?
    What good does that do?
    I mean the purpose of the primer is to give a good undercoat to get the following colours stick better to the model, But then you put ink wash over!? That makes it even worse to paint...
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Not at all.

I started using this technique when i got my first Thousand Sons. It's a pain to achieve a nice, "flat" blue, as a normal coat of regal blue will usually be irregular, and if you apply several thin coats you often lose some detail - two or three thin coats of normal paint are thicker than ink.
    Therefore i tried to create a blue color by painting pure or thinned blue ink on a white primer - the result was very satisfying. The depths are shaded, the edges are still light, and it's a regular, flat color without a lot of work, or lost detail. For my Thousand Sons, the base color is finished then, as they already are both shaded and highlighted after this procedure. I could highlight them manually, this would look slightly different - but not necessarily better. The quality of the results is similar.

I also used this technique on my forge world dreadnought (the death guard one), and i'm very pleased with the result, it's one of my best minis so far. I used a mixture of chestnut and green ink for a first ink wash, then brown ink (both washes were slightly thinned).
    Then i in this case highlighted the mini with different shades of rotting flesh, and did all the other details with "conventional" techniques.

Another example for which i used this technique are my flamers of tzeentch. I primed them white and applied purple ink on one end, blue ink on the other. I carefully mixed both inks on the model, this way creating a blend from blue to purple in many unique variants. Then i carefully highlighted the model with regal blue->sky blue, and with warlock purple.

There is only one problem with this technique: don't use too much ink, make sure that the pieces of a model which you painted dry in a vertical position. This way all excess ink will flow down on that surface, and after a minute you can soak it up with a dry brush.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds like an interesting way to paint your models... I might have to try that some time. Infact I think I will on a nightlords model... wish me luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does anyone here simply hit their minis with a coat of Chaos Black Spraypaint?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast