Painting Comp Entry - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

So this will be a single model I'm making for a painting competition, I've never tried space marines before and I figure since all my models are black, it wouldn't be worth entering in a black chaos lord with a few highlights so I'm going for broke with a space marine something-or-other that I got from a mate.

So far I've just done the blue parts, I want to really take my time and get this guy looking nice and neat, and I may even attempt a freehand on the banner.

So just early stages so far, but I'll do my best to keep updates coming.

EDIT!

Got a little bit on the head and the "golden" parts done.

I'm really enjoying this so far, its coming out well but I'm not sure what to do to really push it over the edge? I really like the look of the wear and tear on a lot of the corners of the armor where the black is coming through.

EDIT!
    I've had a look at some CMON minis with a score of 9-10 to see what kind of look I should be aiming for and although I'm a little overwhelmed, I'm still enthusiastic and believe I have a good enough shot if I just play my cards right.

Here is where hes up to now.

Added small details to the corners where the parts join and went over a few smaller details, added a thin, thin layer of silver to the gun and other various pieces as well as some gold to the top of the lightning claw, the claws I also blended.

What I'm lost on, and holding me back the most is what color to do the backpack? I was thinking some metal with a bit of blue, but I'm not sold on that idea, so if anyone has a picture of some wicked ultramarine 1st company (I think, with the silver shoulder trim) backpacks then I'd love to see it!

Last edited by omgitsduane; August 8th, 2008 at 01:59.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free-hand on the banner would be nice, some gold on it with the black and blue would stand out too.

Help my dragon grow! pfft dont bother anymore he died since he didnt get enough clicks >:(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking good so far B1, cant wait for the end product and some games with him ;P
    "And I hope for your sake that you're on our side."

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

Won't be any games with him, I hate marines, and I'm selling them to nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahh ok, well maybe we can pwn nick when he uses them and take our anger out on his marines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eahhh are you talking to me?

I hate marines, N.E.C.R.O.N.S!!!!

Help my dragon grow! pfft dont bother anymore he died since he didnt get enough clicks >:(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nope, different nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

It looks like you're handling the miniature with your fingers by the bits...
    For the Emperor's sake, ALWAYS handle a mini by the base when painting (or better stick the base to something that will serve as a handle).

Otherwise you'll rub off paint with your fingers - visible on the pictures as those ugly black spots.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Also - when painting yellow, you should either paint over a mid-brown like snakebite leather, or else mix in white and then shade down.

I second the comments about holding the mini- superglue the base to an old paint-pot or something, I have models that have been thrown in a box travelling between London and Manchester, but have less chipped and rubbed-off paint than that.

Next thing is you should be painting from the inide out - there are large ares of deep detail that are untouched, yet you've started painting the surface plates - these will need a lot less cleaning up later if you painted the deeply recessed details first.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

266 (x8)

Thanks for some real comments guys!

I know I shouldn't be touching it as I paint and I'll be more careful but I actually like the black spots in certain areas as wear and tear, maybe a bit of silver to make it look more chipped and less like paint rubbed off.

And last night I got into the nooks and crannies of it, Will post photos now!

So I did the insides of his armour, the grenades were coming out well till I did the pins black (really bad idea), and I also got around to the seals on both sides, a blood patch on his helmet from defeated foes, and some blood on his claws.
    Last edited by omgitsduane; August 8th, 2008 at 02:00.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast