Painting Worn Armor (NMM?) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Painting Worn Armor (NMM?)

Hello all, I may be starting up a warriors of chaos army very soon, and I had a question on painting worn armor. I have seen this effect and am a definite fan. The effect I am talking about is when you have a painted metallic style armor, like red chaos armor, and then there are scrapes against it where the paint is gone, looking either like it has been worn down or scraped off by an attack. I think this adds a lot of character and realism to the paint job, and I think it looks nice.

My problem is this - this technique usually seems to be done by painting a metallic over the affected area, possibly with a darkened outline to make it pop. I was hoping to take a venture into some NMM painting, and was wondering how much something like this would clash with that - usually it is strange to use metallics and non-metallics together. Is there any way to paint something like this with non-metallics? If anyone has an pictures I would definitely appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Well, if the piece is NMM, then if the top level is also NMM, say a red translucent laqcuer over the base metal, then you would paint on teh scrapes as the base colour NMM continuing the lines of the "top colour" NMM...However, I don;t know if NMM will give you the "dirty" feel of wrn armour at a miniature scale in teh same way - I would go with painting dark grey, and lightening up to white if the udnerlying metal is supposed to be steel...The Jugger conversion I have seen (can' remember who did it) is a good example of how to NMM discontinuities like rivets, and this might be applicable in this case (I can see paint flaking from rivets first if the armour is bashed or scraped...)

Tak
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    114 (x2)

I'm not sure if this is the effect you're after, but I've found a couple of links to tutorials that may help you.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/455
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/288/page/3

Also, for reference photos, I find that Cyril and Kaple both have exceeding good examples of battledamaged power armour over at coolmini...

CoolMiniOrNot - space marine by cyril
    CoolMiniOrNot - red skulls chapter space marine by cyril
    CoolMiniOrNot - red skulls chapter space marine by cyril
    CoolMiniOrNot - Ultramarine by Kaple
    CoolMiniOrNot - Dark Angel Space Marine by Kaple

+ Reply to Thread