High Elves - Nobles, Mages and Converted Swordmasters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

High Elves - Nobles, Mages and Converted Swordmasters

Hey everyone, I've finally got my latest round of painting finished. I've had these nobles and mages since last Christmas, but I've only just gotten around to finishing them off.

First, the Nobles -

Mounted Noble with Lance, and BSB with Great Weapon

The mounted noble is pretty standard, but the BSB has been converted slightly. I don't like how the BSB model looks with the shield, and since I was planning on giving him a great weapon anyway it made sense to put that in his left hand. I took the left hand with the longbow, and cut the bow off on either side of the fist. The I took the right arm with the great axe and did the same. I then glued the two halves of the axe handle on either side of the left fist that used to hold the longbow. I hope that makes sense. I'm aware there are one or two spots where the painting needs tidying up.

Mages

Like with the nobles, the mounted mage is fairly standard and the other has been converted slightly. I wanted to use the book from the dragon kit, to make it look like he was holding it in a position to read it, as I thought that looks better than the way he holds the book that comes with the mage kit. It required a bit of hacking about to get it to fit, because I needed to chop the arm away from the book leaving only the hand in order to fit it onto the arm that came in the mage box.

Swordmasters

I had a WIP thread in modelling when i was making these. They use the legs, torso and heads from the spearman kit and have arms, swords and helmet plumes sculpted from greenstuff. Here's a pre-painting shot

The WIP thread with more pictures is HERE

I know some people wanted to see these painted a while ago, sorry it's taken so long. I lost interest in Warhammer briefly, and it's taken me a while to get around to taking photos. The paintjob on these isn't the greatest ever but I'm reasonably happy with it. i tried to make the champion stand out a little more, but I couldn't think of much that would look good. I'm pleased with the way the runes on his sword turned out, though.

Here are the pics (sorry about the shadows on some of them)

What do you think?

....1000th post... W00t!

Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

Nice I like them a lot, the swordmasters came out well, good job. You could try using the black wash, I think its called barad black. I use it over boltgun metal and then use chainmail to highlight it. Comes out really well. Would probably work just as well over other silvers. Its really easy, before that black wash I was hopeless at painting armour!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

COOL! u paint really well. i mite collect hi elves soon, or do dark elves

In the arms of a small mountain in California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x1)

your stuff looks realy good, a couple of things:

along with black washing the silver you should also add to the gold.

i use gw paints so i do shining gold, chestnut ink wash, then drybrush burnished gold and a light drybrush of mythril silver.

this makes for easy and good looking gold that will realy make those characters look even more awesome.
    -Bcom

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

They look very good, but I have one major criticism and that is you need to shade more. A lot of areas, metals particular are very flat looking. A simple shade of black (silver) or brown (gold) would sort this, and is easily done with the GW washes. The flesh and hair is the same in my opinion, a wsh would make it look much better.

Overall they look good, just try to shade a bit more and they'll be better.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Anc, one main criticism is that the flesh is single tone - I would use a much lighter flesh-tone to start - e.g. bleached-bone with a spot of bronzed flesh, and shade down using bronzed flesh or flesh wash...

The otehr thing is in agreement with te armour - wash it with a mix of blue+black ink (very very think) and then dry brush with mithril silver mixed with white and electric blue to get that "sheen" effect.

However, the banners are truly gorgeous - love teh White Tower o teh SM banner, and as stated in anotehr trhead, the SM conversions are excellent (apart from my comments about the swords ;-))

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Thanks for the advice guys. Washing is one of the techniques I've never really gotten around to trying, but I'll probably pick up some inks the next time I'm in a GW, and have a play around with them to see if I can improve my armour. I'll have rather a lot of models that need working on if I do, though! Actually, my spearmen could do with a lot of work since they were among the first models I painted and they're just not up to scratch. If I improve the army to a standard I'm happy with I'll probably post pictures of the whole lot.

Anc, one main criticism is that the flesh is single tone - I would use a much lighter flesh-tone to start - e.g. bleached-bone with a spot of bronzed flesh, and shade down using bronzed flesh or flesh wash...
    Yeah, i've been aware for a while that the flesh is a bit flat. I've tried building up from a darker base colour using lighter flesh tones, but I've not been able to do it very well, had a rubbish looking face and ended up covering most of it with elf flesh paint to improve it. I know how to paint faces right, it's just I've never managed it properly. Another thing to work on, I guess.

Cheers for the comment on the banners. I like to put some effort into making them look good, but even then I think they could be better.
    Thou shalt remember:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, Nice work. I love to see quality fantasy Models like this. Your a very nice and clean painter, everything painted looks so 'right', for example it looks as if you've thinned your paint to gain the perfect coverage ect.

Do you paint straight colour? or build it up in stages? say for example the skin or cloaks, did you just put on a certain colour and leave it or did you put on a base, darker tone and build up? Because this leads me on to my criticism:

The models seems 'flat', as if you've painted straight colour, and like others before me have said maybe using the washes, which in my opinion are fantastic, it will bring out more detail before giving it a final highlight.

Nice Work. Keep it up.

Cheers
    Sam
    Looking for 2 Unpainted Forest Goblin Spider Riders (Riders Only) and 1 Musician ~ PM me or Email me: Sam_Davies@Mac.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam16 View Post
    Man, Nice work. I love to see quality fantasy Models like this. Your a very nice and clean painter, everything painted looks so 'right', for example it looks as if you've thinned your paint to gain the perfect coverage ect.

Do you paint straight colour? or build it up in stages? say for example the skin or cloaks, did you just put on a certain colour and leave it or did you put on a base, darker tone and build up? Because this leads me on to my criticism:

The models seems 'flat', as if you've painted straight colour, and like others before me have said maybe using the washes, which in my opinion are fantastic, it will bring out more detail before giving it a final highlight.

Nice Work. Keep it up.

Cheers
    Sam
    Thanks. I always build up from darker colours, but the problem I find (as I mentioned above) is that I'm not very good at leaving the darker colour in the recesses and making it look good. I suppose the solution is to use more layers of a gradual progression of tones, but that would make my already lengthy painting sessions even longer. Hopefully I'll be able to solve some of the problems with inks.
    Thou shalt remember:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

Yeah give the washes a try, paint a model silver and put a black wash over to get the idea. The washes have really made things easier and more enjoyable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast