Iron Chef 4 – Bugbait’s 40K Memorial arch. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    133 (x2)

Iron Chef 4 – Bugbait’s 40K Memorial arch.

Time to punch in to Iron Chef 4!
    My usual building material of choice is foamboard, its great to work with, all you need is a really sharp blade, and if you use two layers it is nice and strong. For this challenge I will be using the cheapest materials available. I have a heavy duty cardboard box from a computer, twin layers of corrugated card. I have not tried to do a building with this material before but having seen some of the results from the Iron Chef 3 I was impressed with the finished results.
    Secret ingredient will be pasta! Spaghetti for small bead type details and maybe something else.
    This project is inspired by GW’s Cities of Death expansion, Pages 54 and 55 Dheneb Capitalis and the French Arch de Triompe, this has been on the “things to do list” for quite a while, not sure of I can finish it in the really tight time frame required.
    Started with a scale plan, a few hours of cutting and gluing has got me to this stage, have been using Elmers glue stick for all of the card to card gluing, dries faster and will not contract and warp the piece, will be using PVA wood glue to glue it to a 6mm hardboard base once it is cut out. Will be using plaster filler to cover the corrugated bits.
    The centre arch piece is three layers of breakfast box glued and wrapped around a four litre paint can, once dry this will be very strong and hold its shape.
    Painting plan at this stage will be a very dirty while colour.
    Will 40kify it by adding buttresses and battle damage and an Imperial eagle to each side.
    Arch patterns where “borrowed” from the old GW City Fight building templates, screen captured and dropped into MS Word to be stretched to the required size and shape.
    I can imagine this sitting in the middle of a table that is half trashed and half mostly intact, the city defenders using this as part of the last ditch defensive line.
    When its all together I will post a pic that will show you the scale of this.

Bugbait out

Last edited by bugbait_nz; May 26th, 2009 at 05:06.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    229 (x4)

Oh snap! Look whos coming out of the corner swingin for the fences....
    arc de' triumph (sp?) for your CoD table? niiice

can't wait to see this bad boy finished.
    Sho: out.

Rome wasn't built in a day, Either should good scenery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

133 (x2)

Umm . . . this has turned out to be BIG, 15 inches tall, oh well if I ever get around to making a warhound it will have something to hide behind!

Walls been glued to the base, still making the buttresses, will glue them on when I have plastered around the arches.

Bugbait out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x4)

You realize you need to put in a way for infantry to get to the top of that thing, right? I can imagine heavy weapons teams would LOVE being up that high. Well, aside from the lack of cover part.

Damn..its like amazing-huge!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

you could put 'elevator doors' or something of the like on both sides of the arch, then opposing squads can get up top and battle it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Also, is that 'door skin' (or door backing) being used as a base? good choice. that stuff holds together very well it is what i use.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

It looks great but you need bullet holes and serious damage.
    for the simplicity its fantastic though, can you make a whole city of these?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by omgitsduane View Post
    It looks great but you need bullet holes and serious damage.
    for the simplicity its fantastic though, can you make a whole city of these?
    I must agree, it is MASSIVE, but after painting it (that will take a while) it needs some ooomph! like rubble around it, bullet holes, graffiti, things like that. I like

HFR
    Quote of the Week (Number 3) - "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
    Ruina's Hive - My personal Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

133 (x2)

Thanks guys, I do plan to shoot it up some, small arms stuff and a large hole or two.
    I have some small propagander posters to add to the walls as well.
    What does 40K graffitti look like??

Its mounted to 6mm hardboard, I think USA calls it masonite, a lot harder than MDF, not ply wood.

I started with a large computer box, 90% is gone now, cant beleive how much cardboard has gone into this monstrosity.
    All the buttresses are now made, have started plastering, used mark one finder to make the inside of the arches rounded.
    Was thinking about putting a door in the main arch and a trap door on top, but since shooting ranges are now based on weapon to target and not flat on the board you will be loosing 15 inches! makes you safe from pistol shots!

Eagles are being cut out of thin card at the moment.

The plan for the arches on both ends, will have a slab of stone inside with names of the fallen.

Large arches on the main faces will have stone scrolls with the names of heros from past battles, or something like that, maybe a large inscription over the main roadway arch.

Need to find a latin word translator.

Bugbait out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good god that thing is massive! cant wait to see it painted! It'll look beastly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast