chaos black spray or paint? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chaos black spray or paint?

I've been using chaos black spray for priming models for as long as i can remember
    do you think that painting chaos black onto a model would be a bad idea for a base coat ?
    I'm asking this because chaos black from the pot dries quite glossy compared to the spray.
    thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Aliens ate my soul. Chubby_Jedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    358 (x6)

People will tell you that using a prime (i.e 'chaos black spray') is better than painting it on. I disagree, i think painting it on is fine aslong as you thin your paints. I use a mix of chaos black paint and black wash but using water is just fine. The only diffrence is the spray will dry matt and the paint will dry with a slight sheen.

- Boomer.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I AM BOOMER!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Actually painting you models chaos black is a terrible idea, they will chip, since it's just normal paint it won't stick to the plastic or metal very well, people use the spray because it bonds to the metal or plastic a lot better, and you paint over that because the paint will stik very well to the primer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

I use it because it doesn't take forever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

I have to agree with Busta, using a primer before brushing on paint will go a long way to prevent the paint from chipping. There are several brush on primers you can use if you dont want to continue to use the spray. Though I personally have found that properly used Krylon spray primers work just as well as the more expensive GW sprays.
    The Camden Brigade
    Do good things, good things happen. Do bad things, and kharma hits you with a car.
    20 Bucks. Eat it; Ride it; Hump it. I don't care. - Earl J. Hickey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the spray is only good if you paint over it. Otherwise it just looks ugly.

Aliens ate my soul. Chubby_Jedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    358 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by BustaCaps View Post
    Actually painting you models chaos black is a terrible idea, they will chip, since it's just normal paint it won't stick to the plastic or metal very well, people use the spray because it bonds to the metal or plastic a lot better, and you paint over that because the paint will stik very well to the primer.
    Paint does not just chip off by itself. Maybe try using a vanish to prevent this. A gloss vanish is the tougest but i prefer a matt vanish myself. Also i try to handle my models
    with care and i wash all of my models in washing up liquid before i paint them that is way more important than what undercoat to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzinatah View Post
    I use it because it doesn't take forever.
    That is the most important point about using the spray, it's quick and easy.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I AM BOOMER!

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

I've used both methods, they work fine. The painting on by hand does allow you to reach all those nooks and crannies that spraying can sometimes miss, however it can sometimes struggle to stick to the mini. My method is to add a drop or two of washing up liquid, this allows it to flow better. It does take a couple of layers but works just fine.

The sprays are quick and easy, allowing you to get a decent number of minis painted in one fell swoop. However, it can struggle to cover all the areas of the mini and you can easily clog the mini if too close.

My usual method is to spray the mini, then go over it with my mix of chaos black + washing up liquid, to ensure that all the areas missed by the spray are primed. Works really well, and can be done for skull white as well.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

Only time I used the sprays was when I was painting 8000 points of necrons all at once.
    Something about basecoating 300 warriors by hand made my stomach hurt. When I actualy PAINTED them, it just made my wrist and eyes hurt.

I never had a problem with chipping on my models from handpainting the basecoat, and hell, a few of them have been manhandled by little kids (yeah yeah yeah, i know, i know). I just do a nice layer of primer on them and let it only half dry. If the primer is still gooey on the mini, the paint stays on there better IMO.
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by supersquig View Post
    I've been using chaos black spray for priming models for as long as i can remember
    do you think that painting chaos black onto a model would be a bad idea for a base coat ?
    I'm asking this because chaos black from the pot dries quite glossy compared to the spray.
    thanks in advance

Actually you NEVER want to just cheesily paint the models chaos black. They will just chip in the future... thats what the spray paint is for.....
    Vampire Counts-4000 Points
    Empire-2250 Points
    Black Templars-2000 Points

+ Reply to Thread