Lettering that is about 1mm-2mm max in heigh, all capitols, need help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Insert Witty Comment Here Goblin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x2)

Lettering that is about 1mm-2mm max in heigh, all capitols, need help

So for my project, I want to do lots of custom armour on my figures. And I have various words I want to 'inscribe' on their armour.

The problem is, I have been unable to find 'positives' of lettering that is small enough.

Looking at the grey knight metal figures, they have lettering on them that is the size I am looking for, Unfortunatly, using that as a stamp in green stuff (provided I was able to cut them appart and get the letters out unhurt) would be copyright, and wouldn't be a good idea on my part..... The other problem of course, is that it doesn't have a full alphebet. Besides the letter 'B' and 'J', I need all other letters in the alphabet. No more then 2mm in height.

I have done millions of searches for this type of a thing. I have hit up every hobby store I know of, and then some. I have bought 3 different 'childs' type writters. The old ones that are not made anymore, that have very tiny lettering, but even that seems to be too big so it seems...

Then I broke down. I started making some custom negative molds for lettering, that way I could use green stuff to make positive molds so that I would have tiny lettering to be able to 'stamp' with in my sculpts... The problem is, I start to shake, and can't do it. The smallest I can accomplish all the letters in is 3mm... and it just looks to unrealistic on the models armour afterwords, and I tried to get smaller, but well, I can't manage it. It just doesnt want to work.

After 3 hours of trying on 1 letter (the letter A heh) I managed to get it to 2mm... but it was very poor quality, and well, I have enough green stuff as it is, I dont have 60 hours to spend on a flipping alphabet! hehe...

So any help would be amazing, and would earn ya some rep.
    I am desperate here people, And I really don't want to scrap this idea, as I am in love with this idea for my models I am making. lol

So anyways, have a good day!
    -Goblin

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

Dunno if this would be any easier, but....

Roll a thin layer of greenstuff, let it cure, then cut your letters (just the ones you need to save time) out of it. Obviously letters with a gap in them like AOPRD etc would be a nightmare to cut out the gap but with the letter that small, would you really need to?

Another idea would be to raid your house for anything and everything that is made of plastic. Search it for little trade marks, company info, made in china letters, anything like that. they are usually engraved rather than printed on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    215 (x4)

Another thing you could do, is to find a nice font you like and print it out in the size you want, probably like a 4 point font (or smaller). Tape a piece of wax paper over it and the roll out your green stuff and create the letters on top of the print. That should give you a nice guide for size and spacing.

Insert Witty Comment Here Goblin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Ifurita View Post
    Another thing you could do, is to find a nice font you like and print it out in the size you want, probably like a 4 point font (or smaller). Tape a piece of wax paper over it and the roll out your green stuff and create the letters on top of the print. That should give you a nice guide for size and spacing.
    Hmm... not a bad idea... Still though, seems like it would take forever and a Popsicle stand day!

Still a very nice suggestion! If nothing else pops up, I may try this!

As for the 'raid for the plastics' suggestion, It is a very good suggestion, I tried it, I found very little, and all of it was too big

Keep the suggestions coming guys! And I will be sure to keep the rep coming!

-Goblin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

It's dubious ground regarding teh copyright aspect - if you are doin this for personal use, probably a sound way of doing the engraving. But I would fisrt dived the GS into sections equally spaced, and with a metal rule for guidance, you should be able to make the correct sized letters. Use a blunt tool, like a large denim needle, make sure that tthere is oil or water on teh needle (oil is probably better as it is less fluid, so won't obscure the detail as much)

+ Reply to Thread