A Gaggle of Questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Imp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Gaggle of Questions

So here I am painting my Daemons army with a good smattering of Bloodletters. Being Khorne and all I decided to accent with some brass. Only problem is I was only able to find one brand of brass paint at my local store by the name of Game Color made by Acrylicos. With the squirt top instead of the open lid I've been putting small amounts in my pallette. Only problem is, it doesn't take long for the paint to get really chunky and difficult to detail with. Does anyone else have this issue or have any tips?

Second question, I recently picked up a Bloodthirster and am getting a bit tired of the old red and black combination. I was curious if anyone had tried another color scheme.

Thirdly and finally, I've been attempting to find a sort of gray gravel to base my models with with no luck. Any suggestions on brands and/or where to find it would be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    215 (x4)

Acrylios is the same as Vallejo, which you'll hear a lot of other people talking about. I use their Brazen Brass for my golds and so far they've worked out really nicely. You might try shaking it up really well and only squirting out a little bit at a time.

No real ideas on the Bloodthirster, though you could always reverse the pattern and go predominantly black with red trim.

Regarding grey sand, you could always base with regular sand and then stain grey. Gale Force 9 makes some basing sand though you'll probably find the best variety from a company called Woodland Scenics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

You may want to add a tiny bit of water (like 1 drop or less!) to the paint on your palette if it's coming out thick, but be very careful - metallic paints are really sensitive to over-thinning, and if you get them too watered down, they're basically useless.

Oh, and a bit of advice for those dropper bottle style paints: Put a BB or a small fishing weight (see pic) into the bottle.

Once those bottles have been sitting a while, no amount of shaking is going to dislodge the settled pigment at the bottom of the bottle, and stirring those bottles is a real pain.

The object in the jar rattles around inside (like a can of spray paint), keeping it nicely stirred up so it performs at its best.

We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Borderlands addict Phoenix Lazarus's Avatar
    There's no place I can be, since I've found Serenity.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    148 (x3)

Here is a very interesting 'white' bloodthirster from Forgeworld; Bloodthirster Greater Daemon of Khorne I think this is a very good contrast to the usual red ones.

As for grey gravel, I do know one website and company which make what you might be looking for;Netmerchants> Scale Models > Modelling Diorama > Modelling Scenery/Terrain > Grey Fine Ballast This is a UK website, but the company, Woodland Scenics are American I think, so it just depends on where in the world you live for prices and availability.

I hope that's helped! Oh, and make sure you post up some pictures of your Bloodthirster when ya done! lol

Imp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tips. I hadn't even thought about putting in a BB which will probably work wonders. I may just need to break down and find a new brush as well. I'll also definitely have to check out that scenery place. My local store is a bit lacking so I think I'll have to find a good online source which this may provide me with.
    Also, holy freaking hell. That is an amazing paint job on the forgeworld BT. It so nice to see people venturing outside of the norm.
    As it goes for my BT, it may be awhile. He's quite a daunting task and I really don't want to screw him up. I'm a new painter and even newer to 40k. The results should be interesting.

Borderlands addict Phoenix Lazarus's Avatar
    There's no place I can be, since I've found Serenity.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    148 (x3)

That's alright. There's no need to rush, big models like that deserve to have lots of time spent on them to make sure you don't rush and ruin it. Just give it your best and go with your instincts. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would lead fishing weights be okay? Am just worried about the paint being tainted by the lead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by thegrayson View Post
    Would lead fishing weights be okay? Am just worried about the paint being tainted by the lead.
    IIRC, lead weights are being phased out in favour of other metals that won't give wildlife massive heavy metal poisoning when they inevitably fall off into the water and get eaten. The old lead weights are probably long gone, actually.

Check with the store when you buy them.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't mean lead poisoning. I meant would the lead affect the colour of the paint?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

If you are going to put something into the pots I would either look for stainless steel ball bearings or even medical glass beads. If it can rust there is a chance that the rust will mix with the paints and could cause color change. Is it likely - probably not - but the chance is there...

I agree that you should look for a fine sand - GW makes some as well as Woodland scenics and any number of others. The woodland scenics ballast is probably too big. it is easy enough to apply regular sand and then prime and paint it the color you want.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast