Assault Marine Squad conceptions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Australia, but doing an exchange in Germany
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Assault Marine Squad conceptions

Hello,

ok, you know those legs that are kneeling for heavy weapon Marines, in the Tactical Squad?

well, what i am thinking of doing (one day in the far future), is giving the running/jumping legs that come with the Assault Marine Squad to a Tactical Squad, and trying to save up enough kneeling legs to make it look as though the Assault Squad has just landed, or taken off (Neo style).

what do you think? would it make sense to model an Assault Squad in such a way?

and just out of curiosity, what actually do Jump-packs do? do Assault Marines fly? or make bounding leaps over a hundred feet? or does it enable them to sprint and charge into a squad at 60-80 kilometres per hour?

for the last idea, i was thinking of maybe tilting them so far forward, that the exhausts on their backpacks are horizontal, and giving them spears (and, if they are Vanguard, shields as well, wait... are Vanguard allowed to take combat/storm shields?), so it looks as though they are about to crash into the ranks of the enemy as though a Rhino or Razorback might.

or do they fall through the crowds and slaughter the enemy before they know what has hit them?

cheers! any comments or ideas about how to model this, or corrections of my perceptions on the functions of a Jump-pack, are more than welcome!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Inquisitor_Naravus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Jump packs allow a marine to jump a few hundred feet or slow their decent from a long fall. It does not allow them to really fly for long amounts of time as the promethium fuel cells are rather small if I remember correctly.

You could really model them however you want as I'm sure there is a chapter which has tactics that vary from the Codex Astartes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

thanks for the reply, Inquisitor_Naravus!

and i'm planning on building a Celtic/Gaelic themed, so do you think it would be alright to give my Assault Marines spears and a single gauntlet mounted Bolt/Plasma Pistol?

cheers!

Senior Member Inquisitor_Naravus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

I don't see why not. Looking forward to seeing some models!

is a hardcore rebel dutchie the great's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

there are some great ideas splitting out all seems here Luke,

an Idea for the assualt marines(that are landing) is for two to be having kneeling legs, two to have well... something different and one to be about 5cm off the base(flighing still).

and as I was reading your post it occured to me that if you make all the charging marines and the landing ones succesfully you could make one hell of an awsome battle scene (maybe even for GD).

well good luck with the marines, I hope to see some pics coming up.

-DTG
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ungbloods.html

Come and join the YoungBloods social group!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

yeah, thanks heaps dutchie!

its just that i have always hated mixed squads (i.e. a tactical squad with four guys shooting, 2 pointing, sergeant charging, 2 loading their guns and one just standing there), and so i am looking forward to a planned force, with squads uniformly doing something.

or do you think this'll just look boring?

i was thinking with my squads i'll have:
    - one tactical squad stationary; the sergeant pointing, 4 marines shooting, 3 reloading, missile reloading and (what would the flamer be doing?)
    - one tactical squad assaulting; sergeant charging, all marines firing both bolt gun and pistol, missile marine holding a bolt pistol and the flamer with some sculpted flame (do you have any recommendations when it comes to sculpting fire?)
    - one assault squad; probably just have 'em as though they are sprinting at break-neck speed into the enemy.
    - one scout squad (bolters), i was thinking of making all the bolters slung on straps round their backs/sides, as though they were creaping into position. but i'm not sure, is there a better way to model such as these?
    - commander and command squad; posing and looking majestic (you know the sort)

thanks for any and all answers!!

cheers!

P.S. sorry! i won't be able to do any sculpting/painting/playing till i get back to australia in jan/feb, as i am currently in germany doing an exchange. but when i get back i'll start a blog on my army, if there will be a new SW Codex then i'll make a celtic/gaelic SW successor chapter.
    Last edited by luke.noorda; October 17th, 2008 at 19:01.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i remember in white dwarf way back when armageddon III happened there were lots of stories about the blood angels. one i remember was about putting the beat down on some storm boyz, and because of being way out numbered, our red friends would sneak into the middle of the orks (its in a hive city so not too hard) and then jumppack up. the orks, noticeing the marines and too stupid to not try kill them all started shooting at them, and those with rokkits on their backs tried to chase them. unfortunately the blood anges packs allow for a much greater height, so plenty of the storm boyz had to unwillingly land face first at high speed into their mates while the marines finished off who ever was left in an aerial battle.

point is, apparantly assaultmarines CAN fly!

look foward to pics any way dude, nice idea

+ Reply to Thread