Painting Large Flat Surfaces - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    273 (x3)

Painting Large Flat Surfaces

I have a problem. I just starting to paint up my first tank in approximately forever and I canít get the color to cover smoothly. Both regular and foundation paints just arenít giving me that nice smooth finish Iím looking for on those large flat surfaces. Iím getting globs and streaks as the paint just doesnít seem to want to adhere the way Iím used to. Anyone have any ideas as to why?
    My GW black primer seems to be fairly think, so Iím wondering if thatís it. I donít think Iím thinning my paints too much. Is it my paints? Is it my breath?
    Any ideas?

-J
    Large Flat Monkey

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    215 (x4)

See if you can find a good matching spray color. IMO, that's the easiest way to get a nice smooth finishing without brushstrokes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Water down the paint to a consistancy close to milk, and then keep doing layers, wait for them to dry, and then do more layers. On a dark colour it should take between 2 and 5, but with lighter colours it should take more. What colour are you trying to paint? And with the spray paint, how far away are you spraying from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x2)

could be a couple of things.

the surface you're painting on and the primer could be uneven. If you have brush strokes from paint that's too thick, they will get amplified as you get more coats on.

You could be going too thin as you thought. This will make the paint pool in certain locations making it go splotchy. Alternately you could have too much paint in your brush when you're painting light coats, and that might be part of it.

your paint might not be well mixed, leading to a bit of separation on the model.

Have you tried alternating brush stroke direction? e.g. do one set front to back, then the next coat side to side?

And lastly, the one that bit me really badly when I was doing my GW Falcon: Did you wash the model thoroughly before painting it? It could be releasing agent that's coming through the surface and screwing up your adhesion.

Could also be a batch of bad primer...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    273 (x3)

Here's das tank so far.

It's not a whole lot of coverage but you can see whats going on. Of course its blurry so you can't see the issues I'm having. But it's too small an area to spray I think. I just asked a certain someone their opinion since I really like this bleach bone landraider he did... he sprayed it. Le sigh. My bleach bone is at its end, that might be it. Consistency of milk, check, layers, check. I'll head back at it. Thanks for the input all.

-J
    Das Monkey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I know it is a bit late but I would suggest always applying the lightest color first and preferrably over a white primer. Black will cover over anything so is usually easier to apply.

Bonewhite is a particularly transparent color. When painting over a darker primer it might be best to start with a brown such as graveyard earth and work your way to the bone. Or you can paint the area white first so that the bone covers better. If you aren't using a flat brush that might help with the paint brush lines as well.

The more translucent a paint is the more layers you will have to apply to get an even smooth coat. It is true that the thicker the paint the more streaks you will see with the brush.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread