Coating Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coating Question

Ok, I'm painting my first ever set of Warhammer minitures, and I've started off with 5 night goblin archers to try.

But, tonight I base coated my bows and quivers over a black undercoat.

I used Blood red for the bows, and snakebite leather for the quivers (these I think was a little too light of a colour, but oh well).

Now, my question -

Where I have base coated over the black undercoat, whether the paint is too watery (i didnt water it down and shook it up nicely) or the undercoat too shiny, the paint didn't stick all that well (or is this always the case with GW paints).

Anyway, I can't decide whether it looks good like this, with bits of black creeping through underneath, or it looks really amatureish. Is this a recognised way of painting?

The reason I ask, is I'm new, and I don't know what will happen if I re-apply another base coat to thicken it up, and then add a wash to make it get this weathered look.

I just had to ask, as the goblins themselves look really good so far, but I really can't decide on the bows/quivers at the moment.

I hope you understand what I'm saying, I'd post pics of the WIP so far, but can't find my digi cam.

I have a feeling I should of painted them both darker colours, then a lighter colour, then a wash, but too late for that now

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

Come to think of it, I should have pointed you in the directioon of the foundation paints. Pretty much anything is gonna let a black undercoat show through, these 2 colours you mention will more than likely need 2 if not 3 coats to get a good even colour. It won't really take away from the detail, esp if it isn't covering properly to start with, so you should have no problems in extra layers/washes. Mechrite red and Kommando khaki are 2 colours you could use either as mixers for these 2, or as replacements.

_AE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beat me to it

any time you paint over black with lighter colours, you need to do multiple coats of paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

Thats cause I'm stalking this guy!

(Only joking)

(...or am I?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's nice being stalked...and also very helpful

Well, I'll give them both another 2 coats or so tomorrow, should end up ok, then I'll go over with ze washes. Will get there in the end.

It seems that lettin the black show through one base coat isn't an approved method from your responses

It seems to me though, that these 5 night goblins are taking forever...think im being too fussy on stuff like basecoat neatness etc etc. Or maybe they are just that small you have to be fussy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

321 (x8)

Lol, to be honest, I really would recommend foundation paints followed by washes. I painted a unit of 20 NG spearmen in >1hour using orkhide on the skin, calthan brown on spears, with boltgun drybrushed tips, mechrite red detaild (eyes, ropes and bindings, etc.), goblin green skin highlight then a wash of devlan mud over the entire model. Then it was just basing left and the unit was ready to go.

It does seem as if you're being fussy, however, with your first models you can never be too fussy. Get them painted how you want them, be proud of them and you can then find faster techniques and colours as your own personal painting style develops.

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

I'm a huge fan of foundation paints and the new washes for speed painting. Oddly enough I, too, was painting goblins last night. My best result (IMHO) was a Gretchin Green skin, Calthan Brown straps/ropes,
    Mechrite Red arrow fletching & eyes and Charadon Granite quiver. Teeth got Iyanden darksun (as did shield icons on the spearmen) followed by Dheneb Stone highlight. Adeptus Battlegrey highlights on the arrow shafts and thin highlights (I'd actually painted all the robes aaaaaaaaaaages ago and then stopped). Chainmail on the metal bits (like spears and belt buckles).

Washes were Hormagaunt Purple on the arrow feathers, Devlan Mud on the shield icon, metal, straps and ropes. Thraka Green on the skin (maybe two coats).

Final highlights of Blood red on the fletching, Camo Green on the skin and Iyanden Darksun on the yellow.

It sounds like a lot but if you work on 10-20 at once then it's not too bad. It saves time because each colour really only needs one coat- anything that needs more than one coat is bad news as far as speed painting goes.

Search for "AoBR orks; quick and dirty" or something similar and you'll find some 40k orks done in a similar manner.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ick-dirty.html

I'll do anything to delay studying....
    Last edited by The Paint Monkey; October 15th, 2008 at 03:40.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

plus your first few sets you up with a pattern that you can use for the rest, if you know what i mean. Painting takes practice, and the way your are going just doing a few models at a time, you should have the basics down quick. Keep up the work and post some pictures of your week, id love to see how you improve over time ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ty all

Will see how it goes tomorrow and try to find that bloody camera!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problem, always willing to help out a fellow hobbyist and painter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast