Muzzle flash modeling / Basing Grey Knights - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Muzzle flash modeling / Basing Grey Knights

Two topics that im finding difficult, any help mucho appreciated.

First off muzzle flash:
    Looked all over and just cant find anything so apology's if this has been done before. What im looking for is to be able to produce las cannon blasts for a land raider, hurricane bolters OR an assault cannon flash for a land raider crusader (whichever is easiest) and finally storm bolter muzzle flash for grey knights. Ive had some success with the las cannon blast by using a paper clip, wrapping in green stuff then sort of sculpting a ripple effect going down the beam. Not to long (only about 4cm) but looks ok. Any other ideas? For the twin linked assault cannon or the equally twin liked hurricane bolters i was thinking of perhaps one big flash with then each barrel having its own mini muzzle flare. Again any ideas welcome. Finally the storm bolters. These are for the stock troops of grey knights, not all will have the flares (one or two per squad) but i want to add variety so should the side exhausts have flares coming out? How big should the frontal flash extend? Finally i must note that im not going to attempt dynamic lighting, at least not until all the models are painted up, then perhaps ill have a go.

Onwards to the basing:
    The general theme is city's of death with rubble and destruction everywhere. So far ive been very happy with the results (one 15 pound building kit based 20 models and ive still bits left over!) but i dont want it to get sameie. To this end when i did my grey knight grand master i added a blood thirster's head which looked great and not long after plastic blood letters came out, score! So for the general ideas of how to include them ive drawn up a little list, hows it sound?:

1) Grey knight cutting a blood letter in two. Cut blood letter from head to waist/from right shoulder diagnoally down to waist and stretch apart.
    2) Blood letter getting skewered. Nemesis force weapon going through the chest/head of deamon. Deamon rearing back in pain/holds onto the weapons haft.
    3) Deamon on the ground being stood on/ finished off by the grey knight. May need some modeling to get weapon angle right.
    4) Deamon and Grey knight parrying weapons. Think of the chainsaw duels from gears of war.
    5) Grey knight firing on the deamon tearing it a new one. This is where the muzzle flash would come in, deamon falling backward with blast marks peppered all over.
    6) Grey knight stomping on deamons head. Another gears of war inspired one. The good old curb stomp.
    7) Deamon cowering/crawling away from the grey knight. Not sure how to model.

Alot of ideas. Even if the were only repeted once id have 14 set peices and only 2 or three would go in each squad so i can afford to pick only the best or if perhaps some of these would be best suited to Grey knight terminators then i can use more. Question really is can anyone add to this list? Are any of them to over the top? Tips to model them.

On a side note im also producing another grand master but he will be based on the lysander model and shall be standing atop a dead blood crusher. Any good you think? Also im looking to base my Land Raiders. I was thinking of using the regimental bases from WHFB and cutting them to the right size. Mostly for the scenic quality's and to have a go at a semi diorama piece but really i just want my LR to be running over bloodletters!!!

So apart from the questions asked in the post its just for any thoughts to be put forward on the topic. My biggest concern is is sticking to blood letters bad? should i extend into nurgle and the others? Even perhaps include a Chaos SM? Thoughts all please!

PL

P.S
    Sorry about the long post!

I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

I think that sticking to bloodletters is fine, could of been summoned by World eaters (To promote this idea could have the butchered body of a couple of berserkersor maybe one being killed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

I have the answer to the first one...

Armorcast Resin Battlefield Scenery, Models & Terrain
    Miss Spam Master 2009
    The Briny Series: Urban War Beginnings | Cygnar
    Thrallstudios

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x4)

*Throws home made las cannon beams into the bin* Those are perfect! Rep to that man! My biggest concern was if they turned out looking OTT or stupid but they rock!
    Small for hurrican bolters, Medium for the storm bolters, Large for the assault cannon/heavy bolters and the Heavy and Super Heavy can go on my Psy cannons. Not to mention the heavy beam! Ill say it again, perfect.

As for the berserker's idea that is equally cool as just 2 or 3 khornites in the mix will be great! Looking at perhaps the khorn lord and an aspiring champion or two. As for the bloodletters idea i think its going to come down to just getting them and having a go. Starting this week hopefully!

The first thing ill proberly try is the base for my Land Raider. I don't want it to extend too far out from the model in case it starts arguments on base size, just enough really to give the vehicle context.

Keep it coming if anyones got anymore ideas but i think the muzzle flashes are pretty much wraped up.

PL

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
    I have the answer to the first one...

Armorcast Resin Battlefield Scenery, Models & Terrain
    Must... Resist... Urge to buy... HAMSTER BULLETS!!!

Oh, man... That's just too funny. I might have to actually get a pack of those, just for laughs.

Great find, Pickle! I never even thought to see if Armourcast had a website.

Hmmm... I wonder if this is the right size for a Battle Cannon?
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

262 (x7)

Haha, glad you like them.

HAMSTER BULLETS! must of missed them XD
    Miss Spam Master 2009
    The Briny Series: Urban War Beginnings | Cygnar
    Thrallstudios

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x4)

I think that shot with the shell is plenty big enough. From the scsle you can see it comes out 7cm! (nearly 3") BOOM! Which one of those do you think would be right for a muti melta? The energy blast or get another heavy laser and paint it yellow/red (gonna be blue/white or the las cannon).

PL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix Lord View Post
    I think that shot with the shell is plenty big enough. From the scsle you can see it comes out 7cm! (nearly 3") BOOM! Which one of those do you think would be right for a muti melta? The energy blast or get another heavy laser and paint it yellow/red (gonna be blue/white or the las cannon).

PL
    Maybe use a pair of large lasers (one for each barrel), cut down the "flash" bulges so they fit the gun, and fill in with green stuff. Makes it two shots from one double sized flash.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

+ Reply to Thread