New to WH40k/Tau- What do I need to paint/assemble? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to WH40k/Tau- What do I need to paint/assemble?

Hey guys, I'm just starting out in the 40k world with miniature assembly. I haven't bought my stuff yet, but I want to get an idea of what I'll need to put them together and paint them(and be able to make them look somewhat nice).

I'm thinking paint-scheme wise to have the tau-part of the army painted similar to the skyblue/darker blue scheme that's found in the codex, except green/dark green to reflect the area I live in(kind of a theme, I guess?).

For the Kroot, I'm going to find some sort of frog or lizard that lives around here and try to follow that. Weird, I know.

Anyway, my shopping list so far has

2x Commander battleSuits
    2x Regular battlesuits
    6x stealthsuits
    24x Firewarriors
    24x kroot
    6x firewarriors(METAL)
    2x Devilfish
    1x Skyray(to be assembled as a hammerhead)

How much/what type of glue am I going to need? how many pots of paint would I go through(on average?). Which brushes would you suggest?

I'll try to check this often, so if anyone's willing to help but needs more information, I'd be glad to answer any questions. Thanks!

Last edited by bgamer; October 20th, 2008 at 23:47.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Here are the basics of what you should have:

Snips to cut plastic from the sprues
    X-acto knife/blade to scrape off mold lines or make simple cuts
    Metal files to file off mold lines on metal parts
    pin vise - for drilling out gun barrels or making holes to pin your figures...
    size 1,0, and flat brush (ideally kolinsky sable but synthetic will work)
    some type of super glue (cyranocrylic (spelling) glue) I use Zap a Gap
    some type of plastic glue - don't recall what brand I have but it comes in a black container
    Paint

Now you will probably be set with a single pot of paint in the colors you need. I wouldn't worry about over buying yet. Use what you have and if you need more it can always be bought later...

You can also purchase any number of additions - such as sand, flock, or other materials to base the figures. Not to mention the countless other tools that will help ease your job. I have so much stuff collected over the years that it adds up fast.

Probably my favorite addition is a dremel. not needed to start but it is very useful for a number of different uses.

Welcome to the world of hobbying. Enjoy your stay!

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Borderlands addict Phoenix Lazarus's Avatar
    There's no place I can be, since I've found Serenity.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    148 (x3)

I would suggest getting some tools, like clippers, knife, various grade files etc. These can be found in the Citadel toolkit here Games Workshop however you probably won't need the saw or the vice just yet, so it could be worth buying bits separately.

For glues, polystyrene cement, or plastic glue for, well, plastics and superglue(cyanoacrylate) for metal. My preferred superglue is the Loctite gel bottles, but of course it depends where in the world you live.

Paintbrushes are diverse. It does depend where you are, where you're prepared to get them from etc. I will say this though; try and find as best as quality as you can afford and look after them like a cute fluffy kitten. In my opinion the GW aren't brilliant compared to what's out there and rather expensive.

If you are thinking of going for a green colour scheme, may I suggest using Orkhide Shade. As it's a Foundation paint you'll use a lot less than normal pots and its a very natural, dark green...almost like olive drab. Almost.

I hope this helps. If not and you can't understand any of it, don't hesitate to let me know in the harshest of ways!

Good luck, and may your wallet be prepared for the slaughter that awaits...

loves purple tyranids SGluciousa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

I hope this helps!

For modeling you will need:
    1.) clippers. These are just small tipped plastic clippers to get the models neatly off of the sprues
    2.) A hobby/x-acto knife. Either one works. This is to drag along the mould lines of the model and get rid of the flash or mold lines.
    3.) plastic glue and super glue. Games workshop sells both. I think they work well.

For painting:
    1.) A base coat color. Either black or white. I would suggest black for a beginning painter. GW sells spray paints and pots of black. I think the spray paint is good, just make sure you cover teh netire model.
    2.) A color base coat. This could be a foundation paint green. One for the dark green and one for the light (not sure if they have two). This paint is a bit thicker and provides an even, clean coat on which to paint green.
    3.) A light green and a dark green. For a dark green I suggest dark angels green and for a light I think you should mix. I don't think there is a good light color green that GW makes. In this case you need an empty paint pot where you can mix a large amount of dark green and some white to make the color you want.
    4.) A green wash. These look very good on the model and it helps to tone down the paint. It really adds depth to the model.
    5.) finally any colors you want for extras. If you want a very big contrasting color for marks you should get two different types (by this I mean a light and a dark shade) this could easily be a foundation paint and a lighter color. I suggest blue.

I have not seen the scheme that you talked about so I made this from the top of my head. All of the above tools/paints can be found at GW so it is all easily attainable. I suggest browsing around at what other people have posted for ideas

Here are some that I found:
    CoolMiniOrNot - Forge World Tau xv89 Battlesuit by green ranger

CoolMiniOrNot - Tau Firewarrior by Tyto

CoolMiniOrNot - Tau Hammerhai / Hammerhead by Vokuhila
    this was done by stippling

CoolMiniOrNot - Empire Tau Kroot by bloodtwister

CoolMiniOrNot - Tau Kroot, Krootox by kettilman

Please keep us posted on what you do.
    Last edited by SGluciousa; October 21st, 2008 at 00:34.
    The Great Plague meets The Devourer of The Galaxy. What does that make us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys for the tips.

For the overall look, I think I am going to aim for an olive drab for the armor, black for cloth.

CoolMiniOrNot - Tau Fire Warrior by UltraBlueMarine - I feel this is a good pic.
    [
    For stealth suits, I /might/ want to try
    CoolMiniOrNot - Tau Stealth Team by Do Kier

But i feel this might be a bit out of my league.
    Last edited by bgamer; October 21st, 2008 at 04:53.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

What usualy helps with putting together Tau is a japanese friend :-P
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is more what I'm looking for.

CoolMiniOrNot - Tau Firewarriors by Asteriks

Still undecided. I think I need to do more digging...

EDIT:

I think I finally found the right scheme.
    CoolMiniOrNot - Tau Firewarrior by ancient god
    Last edited by bgamer; October 21st, 2008 at 09:38.

loves purple tyranids SGluciousa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

That last one looks nice.

I would use catachan green over the foundation and over the wash. The wash should give you the green in the cracks of the armor. He used bleached bone (I think) for the stripes. Grey was drybrushed over black for the cloth parts.
    The Great Plague meets The Devourer of The Galaxy. What does that make us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Just a suggestion about your supplies...you might wanna try finding some tools in non-GW stores for a lot cheaper. For example I got a hobby knife with 5 blades in a dollar store for $1! And it's a good knife, no problems with it yet.

I like GW's stuff, but it's just so expensive. If I have to pay so much for the figures at least I can save on supplies =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by M'ichal View Post
    Just a suggestion about your supplies...you might wanna try finding some tools in non-GW stores for a lot cheaper. For example I got a hobby knife with 5 blades in a dollar store for $1! And it's a good knife, no problems with it yet.

I like GW's stuff, but it's just so expensive. If I have to pay so much for the figures at least I can save on supplies =)
    Oh, yeah. This is one of the lessons that's best learned early: GW sells decent tools, but there's better stuff out there for less money. Hobby shops, electronics suppliers and art supply stores are absolute freaking gold mines! You can easily save 50% or more on your tools.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast