anyone has samples of Mars bases? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

anyone has samples of Mars bases?

Hi guys,

I was thinking of placing my Black Legion on Mars and was looking for some samples of how it might look like. I did one, but it came out too red (I followed a guide in WD). Before trying again, I'm curious if anyone's ever done Mars surface and if they could provide some pics of how it came out. I'm also not 100% sure on that scheme, cause I'm afraid it may not provide enough contrast to the dark scheme of BL, but then who knows.

Anyway, if you got something, please share!

thx

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Here are some of my Necrons with a "martian" base scheme:

It's dead easy. Just use standard gravel, then basecoat with Dark Flesh and finish with a heavy drybrush of Bleached Bone. That's it. If you find that's too stark a contrast, you could try following up with a heavy wash of straight Dark Flesh and/or introduce "mid-tone" layers with varying mixes of the two (i.e., 2:1 Dark Flesh/Bleached Bone, then 1:1 Dark Flesh/Bleached Bone, then 1:2 Dark Flesh/Bleached Bone), but I find just the straight Bleached Bone drybrushed highlight works fine. Gets a lot of ooohs and aaahs at the local game store, so I must be doing SOMETHING right.

EDIT: Re-edited above paragraph. I hate writing on the fly sometimes

EDIT AGAIN: Here are some WIP pics that show it a little closer:

Hope that helps.

Good luck, and post pics of your own!
    Last edited by Canew; October 28th, 2008 at 19:11.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

hmmm...while it looks pretty cool, the white sticks out too much for my tastes, I would probably tone it down and do the base in 3 layers. Thanks for the pics though, I just wanna look at ppl's results and see what I can expect with certain methods.

I think I'll redo what I originally did, but add more orange. The tutorial said 1:1 Dark Flesh: Red Gore, then add Blazing orange and drybrush and then drybrush blazing orange by itself. As I wrote originally, it came out too red, so maybe I'll skip the red gore and just try DF with BO, or add more BO to the original mixes.

I'll do the second method and then post pics of both results.

thx

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I think that for Mars type bases you should paint the rim of the base with graveyard earth. That colour will help to reduce the strength of the redish gravel. Graveyard earth is also a neutral colour and so it will blend in quite well with all kinds of terrain.

+ Reply to Thread