Paint it Noir - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paint it Noir

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    100 (x5)

Paint it Noir

Hey guys,
    I had an interesting idea the other day - I'm not the best painter in the world (from what I remember - I have't played/painted for a couple of years, haha) but I was thinking an interesting way to not have to bother so much about the extreme detail and a lot of different colours would be to somehow paint my army in the style of film noir.

Now, I'm not going to put little detective hats on them and have SoB 'broads' who walk into their offices on a rainy day or anything like that, but anyone who has seen a noir film will know what I mean - even Sin City, for those of you more into contemporary cinema.

I realise it would require painting a lot of different shades of black and gray and soforth, but hey, it'd look pretty cool I think, and using a lot of shadow, you wouldn't have to worry so much about the detail I'd imagine.

Now, the problem is, how would i go about doing this? Experienced painters, HELP!

By the way, I'll be using Raven Guard Marines, so its already a black-ish paint scheme, hence the thought.

-Things i could imagine:

-Silouhettes
    -Smoke
    -Lots of shadow
    -Shadows over faces
    -The only colours being black, greys, white for highlighting, and perhaps a stark red for things like eyes to add some contrast

So, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Visitor Q View Post
    By the powers I have just made up I, hereby award you with the Signature
    LO's Offical Uber GM
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMane View Post
    dr_nick you are LO's GMing god!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

I see a Red Marine I want him painted BLACK!
    No longer will my Crimson Fists be a deeper shade of BLUE...

gyahahaha.

Two minor suggestions:

1. Gloss.

(self explanatory)

2. Contrast.

Although it sounds stupid, you can make something look MORE black by having something near to it or in it which isn't black.. You can consider this with shiny metal, red or if you're man enough white.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    100 (x5)

Good suggestions Karmoon

So where exactly would i use the gloss? It makes sense, but i just can't think exactly how you'd use it, hehe.

Also, I think for the purpose of shadows I'd have to keep the direction of the lightsource the same for the whole army, although changing the poses of the models would allow me to reveal more/less detail.

Perhaps I could call my chapter 'Les corbeaux noirs', hehe.
    Last edited by dr_nick22; November 4th, 2008 at 13:33.
    Quote Originally Posted by Visitor Q View Post
    By the powers I have just made up I, hereby award you with the Signature
    LO's Offical Uber GM
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMane View Post
    dr_nick you are LO's GMing god!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

So I don't really have any advice for you, seeing as I have no idea how you would achieve this, but it sounds like a truly epic idea and I'd love to see your results, should you end up giving this a go!
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Get a picture of a painted space marine model and put it into photoshop or some other suitable photo edit program. Turn the colours to black and white and see how the highlighting and such looks like that, mix up the different shades of grey and paint it like that. Maybe exagerate some highlights and darkness if you wanna make it stand out a bit more. It should look good?

+ Reply to Thread