Warhound Titan - leg woes - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

Warhound Titan - leg woes

What a pain in the proverbial! trying to get the "groin" section to be level (and not slanting to the side like a drunk) after assembling the legs is proving to be a real challenge.

My most recent idea is to use a thing of suitable height and some blu-tak (other brands are available) to hold the crotch in place whilst I do the legs, but that still might not work.

Has anyone who's built one of these got any tips?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x1)

Both of my titan legs were identical, kind of like the squat position so the hip joint was pretty level anyway. If I built a second one, I think I would try for a more dynamic running pose, and have an angled hip joint. As to your problem it is hard to visualise the way your model is constructed, but maybe attach the body in line with the 'lean' so the body dips straight down and not leaning to the side, if that makes any sense. Heres pics of mine if it helps

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...ckpitunder.jpg
    http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...titanright.jpg
    http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...turbolaser.jpg
    http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b.../titanleft.jpg
    http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...titanfront.jpg
    http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b.../titanfoot.jpg

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

That was my main problem - mine is in a striding pose so 1 leg is forward, one back. It's not so much working out how the legs need to be - it's just attaching the legs at the hips and ankles so that the middle section stays level that is proving to be the problem, because I'm basically having to hold 4 components in place, and I only have 2 hands!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Borrow a friedn/sibling/partner/parent to help you out. Alternatively, try to clamp it or temporarily pin in place...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

339 (x8)

I did think of that, but do I trust any of them enough to hold my precious?

A clamp would be lovely, I could do with a couple of the ones I used to use in chemistry... don't really have one of my own though!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

220 (x8)

Get yourself to a local DIY store, or to Tchibo - I picked up a nice table-clamp using suction pads to hold itt onto a table for a tenner....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

339 (x8)

I might just do that... provided I don't run out of patience and just keep trying it until I get it right tonight lol

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

The way I did my Chaos Warhound....

Glue one of the legs to the hip joint. Take your best guess but glue it anyway and let that dry. Now arrange your titan's feet how you want them and glue the other leg into one of the feet again taking your best guess and dry fitting it first. Now you have a pelvis glued to one leg and the other leg glued to a foot. Now you can arrange all the bits together and by moving the foot forewards or backwards as though it was walking. You find a point where it should be level and glue there. Use bluetac on the feet to stick them to the kitchen table while you do this.

Once the superglue dries you can drill a hole through both the hip ball and the socket. Select a pin of the apropiate width (not too tight a fit) and a tiny bit shorter than the hole you just drilled. Coat the pin liberally in superglue then shove it quickly and completely into the hole. Wipe away excess glue then greenstuff up the offending hole. Do this on all the hip & anckle joints to add strength. I tried all that "drilling 2 holes in 2 parts that were to fit together" method but getting them to line up is a pain so this method saves plenty of time and grief. You can even do it after painting but you need to repaint the scar area.

Don't be to obsessed with a 100% level waist joint as warhounds can be quite mobile and probably can even run. It all adds a little action to the figure.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

What I did for mine was dry fitted everything together, then when I knew were each art was going to go, I marked the joining areas with several lines of paint. When I come back to it later on I know exactly whats going where.

Is this a forge world model or a scratch build?

Dan

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

339 (x8)

That's what I ended up doing... it's a Forge World, Lucius Pattern Wolf Class - this is what happens when work give me back pay!

I managed to get them sorted in the end - I ended up balancing the groin section on top of a speaker with a spirit level on top of that, then attaching the leg and foot at the same time. After a bit of trial and error I got him straight with a slight lean forward, which was what I was after.

All I can say is thank The Emperor for superglue activator!

Thanks for all for the comments and suggestions... I can see this is going to be a long project... I supposed I should start a thread about it in general!

+ Reply to Thread