Eldar painting ideas - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eldar painting ideas

Im thinking of starting an Eldar army and I came up with a good scheme yesterday night for the Guardians when I was looking at the GW colour chart.

Guardians

Skull White armour

Asurman Blue wash into the cracks.

Enchanted Blue Helmet.

Help my dragon grow! pfft dont bother anymore he died since he didnt get enough clicks >:(

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

White is a pretty difficult colour to paint. I would start with a white base coat then several layers of thinned down greys and then do several (very thin) layers of white/grey mix getting lighter each time then do a blue wash then a final layer of pure white.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, should I paint my whole army the same way or different?

Also which farseer to buy the one with spear or staff?

SPEAR: Games Workshop Online Store - Eldar Farseer with Spear
    STAFF: Games Workshop Online Store - Eldar Farseer with Staff

Help my dragon grow! pfft dont bother anymore he died since he didnt get enough clicks >:(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see a lot of the ones w/ the staff.

To be different I'd say the spear.

BUT id be willing to bet that how it looks directly reflects its equipment, as such if I never see spears there must be a reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im not sure what to do either, me being an Eldar nooby I dont know if it reflecks the wargear or what!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've alway's been a fan of the model with the spear personally, but this is purely for cosmetics as opposed to any mechanical benefit I'm aware of. It could be a singing spear, a wraithbone or boneblade weapon, any number of things really. Go with what you think looks cool, and work with it. Not everyone has to powergame 24/7

As far as the scheme goes, I've alway's found the Craftworld Eldar look great with one basic color over their armor, then a secondary 'contrasting' color to give variety and make it appear more striking. You tie them in together, yes, but you maintain the constrast.

As far as the actual scheme your working on, and how to paint it, work on some guardians first and experiment. A Skull White undercoat will save you a lot of headaches [learnt this the hard way] as Eldar enjoy bright colors which are hard to do over a Black undercoat. A simple blue wash over the entire model should be fine, and then picking out each raised surface with fresh skull white should provide a simple but nice effect. As far as the contrast goes, you've looked at enchanted blue. The trick with this isn't to start with it, but work towards it. I use a Mordian Blue base color on my blues, followed by Asurman for a wash and then paint over the top [leaving a touch of color in the depths] with an Ultramarines blue, picking out edges and details with shadow grey [these are ultramarines]. I don't see why you couldn't just take it one step further, and go from the wash, to Enchanted Blue [be sure to water it down a touch and apply in thin coats]. Pick out the very raised details and edges with something lighter [ice blue...a bit of white mixed with the enchanted blue...space wolves grey even but that'll look a touch pale. Experiment], and you have a fairly nice scheme.

And as I said earlier, test the scheme on some troops first, hero's should be the last thing you paint in an army because you'll know what your doing 100% with the scheme and races details by that point.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by NicksNecrons View Post
    which farseer to buy the one with spear or staff?
    I think the one with the spear is better. The pose of the model is more 3D looking and life-like by the way he is holding the spear. The Farseer with the staff looks rather flat and very average looking. He is also doing something more interesting, as in he is pointing and seeming to be casting some kind of Eldar power.

+ Reply to Thread