Help With Easy Rust - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help With Easy Rust

I'm looking for an easy, yet effective way of creating rust. Specifically, on Necrons.

I'm a novice painter so I want nothing too complex, none of the 50/50 brown ink wash with watered down scorched brown, etc. etc. Something that doesn't use too many paints and so easy a noob like me could do it

The effect created doesnt need to be the best out there, but good enough you can tell its rust.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

Honestly you could just try some straight brown ink or flesh wash and see how you like it. I think the effect is decent.

Here's two passes of brown ink on top of Chainmail (which had recesses washed with black ink and was highlighted with Mithril Silver):

The photo light source has made the tip of the chainsword a bit blown out, but you get the idea. It's not the best rust effect but it's definitely serviceable. Whatever you decide on, it's important to not over-do the effect. You can always add more passes!

EDIT: Alternatively, here is another rust effect I was experimenting with. This one is more involved but gives a better result:

That was done with:
    2-3 layers of watered-down Snakebite Leather
    1-2 layers of watered-down Beastial Brown
    and 3-5 layers of watered-down Beastial Brown + increasing amounts of Blood Red + Chaos Black (makes a deeper brown).

Sounds like a lot of work but it goes by quickly if you assembly-line it on all of your models.
    Last edited by kosmon; November 11th, 2008 at 06:35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Basecoat vermin brown, drybrush chanimail; quick easy and looks rather rusty.
    Up, up and away!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that the simplest method of painting rust is to use watered down tin bitz. I used it for my Necromunda gang's weapons. It's really easy to see it on the heavy (Lex) and on the juve with the stub gun (Glythe):
    Attached Images
    |T|O|O|-|L|A|Z|Y|-my anti-drug

The rep button () is your friend!

Be off-topic and visit www.theopia.com

Space Wolves (500) 6-0-3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright. I'm heading over to GW today, so I think I'll grab some brown ink wash and just do some experimentation with it. I'll also pick up vermin brown and maybe some other metallics (all I have now is boltgun metal).

kosmon: your second use of rust isn't really what I'm looking for, but it looks great on bases and scenery
    Thanks for the help everyone, will post again if it doesn't work/I need help.

is a hardcore rebel dutchie the great's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

here's what i think you should do

1)spray necron with skull white spray.

2)paint the entire mini with mithril silver.(don't go to heavy)

3)get two brushes, dip one in dark green ink and the other in chestnut ink,put these two all over the mini making sure to leave no spot un ink-afied.

4)finally, lightly drybrush the mini several times with chainmail( trust me that only takes about 40seconds each model, its just the several bit that makes it seem long and difficult
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ungbloods.html

Come and join the YoungBloods social group!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your like me and hate inks and washes and dont mind spending a bit of time then i find the easiest way to do it is....

1.put darkflesh (or whatever the new name for it is) on the rust areas. be as messy as you want it looks better
    2. water down blood red and dabble it all over the the brown areas, its not the end of the world if you get bits that arnt brown but try not to.
    3.water down scorded brown and once again dabble it but this time stick closer into the riddle areas of the rust.
    4. put splodges of vermin brown on it wherever within the rust.

Sounds like a lot but its actualy quite simple and unlike with inks you dont end up with shiny rust! YAY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

One of the best tutorials for rust is in the Ogre Kingdom's book.

I'm back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

Flesh wash over boltgun metal works wonders. Just apply it sparingly.
    Currently play: 4000+ of Black Legion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah someone emntioned OK book, i agree. I do my rust that way and always get complemented on it.

Basecoat dark flesh. Stipple vermin brown (dab the bristles around randomly) , stipple blazing orange, small mthril silver or whatever metal colour you want drybrush around the edges

+ Reply to Thread