Terminator Librarian - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Terminator Librarian

Just finished painting this yesterday. The best model I've painted yet, first use of some advance techniques like feathering on the tabard and the glow around the eyes. The outstretched hand and glowing eyes are supposed to convey the feel that he is about to blast someone apart with psychic power.

I realize the images are a touch dark, I've sent them to a friend to try and brighten them up before I post them on CMON because I am hopeless with photo-editing software.

Comments and criticisms are welcome.

Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

jesus! The only thing I could say is that maybe the highlights are a little too extreme, but I always feel bad for saying stuff like that cos I couldn't paint any better. But its a great job either way! I'm jealous for sure.

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

As omgitsduane said, the highlights are a little too extreme. Id soften them down with some additonal blues.

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

C&C you asked for so C&C you'll get!
    I agree with previous posters about the highlights, should've used a more toned down blue, like Enchanted or Enchanted + some white (not sure what your base is, Mordian?)

I am also not sure if they glowing eyes worked out too well, you should've used a bunch of very thin glaze layers as opposed to painting white lines. I never did glowing eyes, but that seems to be the technique. Also, maybe a blue-hint would work better than pure white?

And lastly, I think the gold may have too much wash in some parts, like the eagle on the staff or the skull on his helmet and the highlights don't stand out enough. Did you do drybrushing on it? If so, maybe a brighter highlight with a fine-detail brush would be better next time.

BUT, there's a lot of good stuff about this guy! You seem to stay within lines with your brush, use good colours and the guy's face looks good, especially the mouth. I also like where you applied your highlights, just work a bit on their colours next time.

Keep up the good work, think about everyone's comments and I am sure your next guy will be better yet!

[edit] You're in a good position having Gareth just finished painting the exact same miniature (well, I guess it'd be better if he finished before you started yours). See it here: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...librarian.html
    Now, don't feel intimidated, cause that guy seems a little crazy and it'll be hard to get to that standard but take a good look and see what could be improved. It's good to have such good examples, because not only you can look and compare but also ask him how he did specific parts and I'm sure he'll help out.[edit]
    Last edited by M'ichal; November 19th, 2008 at 15:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

The highlights do look pretty extreme in the pics, but the dark photos make them pop a lot more than they do in real life but I agree that I should have used enchanted blue. I didn't have that color and didn't really feel like going out and buying it, I don't intend to enter this thing into any major painting competitions.

On the gold, I did a shining gold base, burnished gold highlight then washed it all with ogryn flesh. One of the reasons the eagle on the staff looks washed out is that the camera is focused more on the face and center mass so it is slightly out of focus and I don't think my light setup was all that, a big deal when you're talking about metallics. Wow, reading back it sounds like all I'm doing is making excuses but I do agree with your suggestions.

about Gareth's post, I actually saw that only minutes after I finished painting this guy, so just barely to late.

Thanks for all the C&C, much appreciated

PS: The base is from micro arts studio purchased from the warstore. Undercoated black, the rock was base coated white followed by a heavy drybrush of codex grey then a wash of badab black and a final highlight of fortress grey and a wash of ogryn flesh around the bottom, actually looks remarkably realistic which I was sprised at because I was making it up as I went along. The ground around the rock was basecoated scorched brown then drybrushed bleached bone. Finally, bits of flock was added sparingly to give the impression of grass and a bit of moss.
    Last edited by Black8; November 19th, 2008 at 18:12.

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Id suggest mixing your blue with a slight amount of white if you dont have the correct colour. I find that Im minxing increasingly more often than ever, the majority of colours i use are mixes of others.

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Oh yeah, your based looks great as well!

+ Reply to Thread