Highlighting black and also Dark Angel Veterans - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Librarian Zahariel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

Highlighting black and also Dark Angel Veterans

Hi all,
    I've got some Ravenwing to paint shortly and was just wondering about the best way to highlight all that black. I've done two Chaplains already and i'm not 100% pleased with how the highlighting turned out on them will post them pics when I get back from work. So any pointers/tuts will be most helpful.

Again i'm involved in the Team Shroom ToP at the mo, doing a DA army, I hate troops so mine were just painted to a good gaming standard very little highlights etc but in december i'm doing a squad of company veterans, a company master and a drop pod and would really like them to stand out. Again any hints/tips.techniques to try etc appreciated.

Zahariel

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    182 (x5)

I can help wit hthe black. You can highlight black with two ways:

1) GW way. Take the Fine Detail Brush and make very thin lines of Codex Grey on the armor edges. Now it depends if you want to make it photo-realistic or not. In the first case you have to focus where the light comes from and do the highlights accordingly. In the second I would follow the extreme Highlighting and highlight every edge of armor. Then take again the Fine Detail Brush and do a thinner line of Fortress Grey on the edge of the Codex Grey... It is easier to do than it sounds...

2) Others way. You can use deep blue to make the highlights. In doing so you will give a more realistic highlight as metallic tends to be naturally highlighted to a blue hue... Take the GW way and replace Codex Grey with Midnight Blue and Fortress Grey with Enchanted Blue...

I hope that helps a little...
    Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

His jetbikes are many. Mayor Quimby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    338 (x4)

Here is a tutorial from Brushthralls.com which I have found very useful:
    Painting Black by misterfinn

When you paint black, the final effect is determined by the highlighting, so you have to decide what kind of "black" you want to achieve. For a bluish metal, you can use Shadow Grey, for a more "neutral" grey you can use Codex Grey... for a more natural black you can use Bleached Bone.

Moreover, IMO to paint black well you have to paint the model dark grey first, and save pure black just for the deepest recesses (after all, you can't shade black...). Use a mix of Chaos Black and grey (not too much!).

Then add more grey to the mix and highlight the edges of the model... you can add a very thin line of pure grey to the sharpest edges to make details "pop out" more. With a couple of layers you can have pretty good results.

On my Fire Dragons I used both Shadow Grey (on the bases) and Codex Grey (on the weapons) to highlight black, you can have a look at the final result here.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

Lovin the quick response guys, as promised here's the pics of my termie and normal chappies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Quimby View Post
    Here is a tutorial from Brushthralls.com which I have found very useful:
    Painting Black by misterfinn

Moreover, IMO to paint black well you have to paint the model dark grey first, and save pure black just for the deepest recesses (after all, you can't shade black...). Use a mix of Chaos Black and grey (not too much!).
    Liking the idea of working up from a dark grey/black so will prob give that one a go on the ravenwing.

Let me know what you think on whats wrong and gow to improve! Be as brutal as required, I won't cry *much*!!!

Zahariel

Also any help from others on the green highlights for my DA vets would be great, those and the drop pod I want to make the centre piece of the army so want them looking fantastic!
    Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    397 (x6)

Here is the black armour tutorial from From The Warp.

++ FROM THE WARP ++: How I highlight black armour

They're very bright, contrasting highlights but they look really striking.
    General Project Log Things I Paint
    Seeing Red A Khador Log
    Stuck Between Stations My Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x3)

The way i do my highlights is:
    Step 1: A 2:1 ratio of Snot Green and Dark Angels Green
    Step 2: Snot Green
    Step 3: Goblin Green
    Each highlight is progressively thinner. This does not take too long but if you want a quicker tabletop worthy higlights you can omit the first highlight and water down the highlights a bit more to compensate for the lack of a pre limenary highlight.
    You can see some pics of what I mean in my blog (shameless plug).

Add me! Let me know your forum name too! =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

Thank's for that Sknight567, i've already admired your DA work, i'm not looking forward to posting my Comp Master and comparing him to yours when his turn comes around in the ToP im doing!
    I'll definitely be giving that three step highlighting a go on my vets in the 4th month of our ToP.

At the moment it'll be just basic gaming standard on 10 Marines with rhino and a vindicator. I've finished 5 marines will post the pics later tonight in my WIP thread, once I get the camera back from the wife who's taken it to her mothers!!!!! Oh well i'll just have to paint while waiting, what a pity!
    My Pics are located here:
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...mpany-wip.html (Zahariel's Dark Angels 5th Company WIP)

Zahariel
    Last edited by Librarian Zahariel; November 23rd, 2008 at 21:46.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm working on a DA army that I'll probably sell when I'm done with it. This is the way I do DA's green scheme:

Paint DA green
    Drybrush Snot Green on raised areas
    Drybrush Goblin Green more lightly in smaller areas
    Paint small bits of each highlighted area with scorpion green
    Wash with Dark green ink

The result is more muted and very dark.

Hope that helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Fraggle View Post
    I'm working on a DA army that I'll probably sell when I'm done with it. This is the way I do DA's green scheme:

Paint DA green
    Drybrush Snot Green on raised areas
    Drybrush Goblin Green more lightly in smaller areas
    Paint small bits of each highlighted area with scorpion green
    Wash with Dark green ink

The result is more muted and very dark.

Hope that helps
    Interesting method, have you any pics up yet so I could have a look at finished result?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry it took so long to reply. I had a lot of trouble getting pics that were in focus. Basically I had to take the group shot and then crop it down, maybe I just don't know how to work this thing. Here's the pics:

I've got 13 Terminators left to paint then the army will probably go up for sale. Painting DA is fun, but they're not really for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast