Newbie's first ruin - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie's first ruin

Greetings all, just wanted to share my first go at some scratch built ruins, and maybe get some feedback.

It's still kinda a WIP, but I haven't got all the bits I need to finish it at the moment, so I figured now's as good a time as any to see what people think.

Without any further procrastinating (if I can figure out how to add pics to a forum post...) here's a couple of phot's. Feel free to give advice, it's always useful.

With a little luck, this will have worked. If not, expect an edit almost immediately.

Rafmunkur

Last edited by Shonuff; December 3rd, 2008 at 21:27. Reason: Picture formatting broke the Forum frame.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    215 (x4)

Overall, a very nice start. Think about your rubble a bit though. Your sticks aren't arranged in anyways rubble would naturally fall. They'd probably be mixed in with rubble and pieces of concrete. Likewise, think about the breaches in the wall. The rubble has to go somewhere. Also think about what caused the walls the fail. If it was bomb that landed through the roof, the rubble falls outwards. If someone was shooting into the building and caused the wall to fail, the rubble falls inwards. I think those considerations and touches will make what is already a very nice start into a superior piece of terrain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly, thanks for the reply!

Ok, so the bits I'm waiting to do is the rubble and sealing off all the corrugated edges. I'm waiting on the local store to get some clay so I can make some nice big piles of "sprue rubble". The sticks are actually a removal/makeshift/orky sorta bridge thingy. Doesn't show very well on the photos, I'm terrible with a camera! Cheers for the advice on rubble placement though, that should help hugely.

Also, there are areas of brown all over the thing which looking at the pics seems to be unpainted areas. It's actually brown paint. It was a bit dark where I was taking these pics, and after a bit of brightening and colour correction, it ends up looking like a shoddy paint job. It looks fairly good up close though.... honest......

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

I'd have to say, for just cardboard and some sticks you've done a VERY nice job here dude, Thats impressive for your materials, I'm actually a little scared of what you could do with the proper equipment!(in a good way)

Get some more done soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    215 (x4)

When you get your clay, roll it out into a nice thin square block, let dry, and then whack it with a hammer. It'll give you some nice, appropriately thick pieces of rubble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hehe, thanks loads there duane! I think I still need a whole bunch of practice before I get to the skill level of some of the modellers on this forum... But coming up next (maybe) will hopefully be a 3 or 4 level ruined tower. I just have to finish some mini's first.

Wow, Ifurita, that had never occurred to me. That will save me a whole bunch of time, too. Thanks again for the great advice.

Also a little request for anyone reading. I want to stick up some little posters or grafitti on the walls to make this look a bit more believable. I thought I saw a thread somewhere on LO that had some pics, but I can't find it at all now. Any ideas (or general pointers with grafitti).

By the way, sorry for the excessive use of brackets, I tend to write like I think. Sporadically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

very good!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

O...K....... for a cardboard box and a few sticks you have managed to make something pretty impressive! Good demonstration that even when new to the modeling game if you keep it simple you can make something to be proud of. If you build your skills up from that you'll be an master in no time!

I'm glad people new to the scenery side of things are still making good old cardboard ruins, I had a horrible feeling the citadel plastic kits would kill that off, and I'd rather have a few things like this that you can be proper proud of than a whole city that just comes off the shelf.

Again, well done. More Rep to get you going!

Edit: Hmmm whenever i give rep nothing seems to happen
    Last edited by matus; November 26th, 2008 at 14:04.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the positive comments, guys! I'm actually really pleased with this thing. I've got my clay now and am in the process of making nice flat bits to bash the heck out of and make some rubble, it's slow going, but working nicely. I'm also going to go around all the "naked" cardboard bits with some of the clay to cover up those unsightly edges.

Thanks also for the rep matus, some back atcha for making me feel good
    Regarding the whole citadel ruins thing, I'm actually stuck scratch-building everything, as there is no GW store anywhere in Iceland. There's a store in Reykjavik but everything's so expensive ,(not to mention it's 5 hours drive, or the cost of an internal flight away) it's actually cheaper to order from the UK and pay the overseas shipping and import tax! So basically I can only afford to buy REAL models, none of that lazy pre-fab building stuff!

I'll post some pics when the clay is done in the ruin too, just to see what people say and perhaps get some comments on what to do better next time.

** I'm also making a little sandbag wall section, and some rock-crete defenses. Will put them up when I can **
    Guess 120"?? Nah, they'll never hit us from all the way over....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    229 (x4)

Agreed with everyone above.

For the MacGuyver style , You have the crown. Some cardboard and sticks, you made a piece of scenery that made Shonuff nod in approval. I'm impressed. Keep it up.
    Sho: out.

Rome wasn't built in a day, Either should good scenery.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast