Looking to broaden my abilities - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Dubuque, IA
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

44 (x2)

Looking to broaden my abilities

Afternoon everyone. This is going to sound kind of crazy but I'm looking to gain some additional motivation and skill as a painter/assembler. I've been toying with the idea of doing commission work for a couple of years now and I'm looking to broaden my abilities as a painter by painting models from the different model ranges and from different armies.

What I'm looking for is a few volunteers who would be willing to supply a single box of a core/troops choice from the armies that I have no experience painting, giving me a guideline of how you would like them painted and assembled. In exchange I'll paint them up and send them back to you within a two week time frame.

So far I have experience painting Dark Elves, High Elves, Vampire Counts, Tomb Kings, Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Tau, and Eldar.

If you'd like to see a few samples of my work so far feel free to check out my photo's in the showcase.

Anyone thats interested or has some advice to offer I'd love to hear it. You can PM or respond here, I'll check back fairly often.

Thanks Again

The Camden Brigade
    Do good things, good things happen. Do bad things, and kharma hits you with a car.
    20 Bucks. Eat it; Ride it; Hump it. I don't care. - Earl J. Hickey

2. Remove Advertisements

Long Beach, CA
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

Here are some things I did when I started doing commission work:

I started selling on ebay. I started with painted single figures (usually reaper) and maybe small squads...

From this I started a customer base and received some more work.

Eventually I dedicated my website for my miniatures and made sure to have a gallery dedicated to commission work as well as a comprehensive and easy to read price structure.

Some thoughts on the matter - Do plenty of research on the internet. You want to see who is out there doing commission work and how much they charge. You want to find several examples that closely match your skill level so you can accurately price.

Customer service is king. Make sure you answer requests promptly. Make sure you keep your customers up to date, and don't be afraid to share a little info. People like people that are friendly and helpful. This will help establish repeat business.

Make sure you firmly establish what you will do and not do. When you make your agreement you want it to be black and white so that there is no questions later on. You don't want to sell yourself short at the same time you want to do whatever you can to make sure your client is happy.

I wouldn't quite your day job for this. More than likely you won't get the business necessary to be self sustaining. I have been doing this for years and it makes for good pocket money and pays for my hobby - but not enough to live on. I have made some good friends and have a few long standing repeat customers. I have noticed a big decline since the economy tanked... so take that into account as well...

If you have any painting specific questions feel free to ask them separately and I am sure you will get the help you are seeking.

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread