My first painted Eldar model,,, Ever. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first painted Eldar model,,, Ever.

Howdy all.

I've played Eldar since early 2nd edition, and have just painted my first 40k Eldar model.

Yes, one could say that I am, I was, definately more a player than a hobbiest. Last summer I painted a grand total of 10 Guardsmen to try and at least develop some sort of skill before diving in to my eldar, but haven't touched my supplies since then. Anyway, without further adieu, here it is:

I'd like to hear some constructive criticism, but please be Very specific (and basic) when describing any suggestions. I used Vallejo Model Color and a bit of Gryphon Sepia. I have the vallejo line of paints and the citadel washes and foundations series (I believe in having the right tools).

The idea for the paint scheme is a reasonable tabletop quality. All power/force weapons in the army will be the yellow-gold, all shruiken weapons wraithbone, and all gems green. Each unit type will have a color associated with it as well as an homage to traditional aspect coloring- purple just happes to be what I chose for warlocks and probably farseers. The goal is to provide both unit and army coherency.

Thanks for your time! Only 22,000ish more points to go. (another reason this jobe has been sao... daunting).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

dont feel bad... I have been playing for about as long ... and I am yet to actually finish painting any eldar... there have been many attempts... heh, i mean you could even call some of them done... however as my painting skill has gotten better their paint jobs have gotten worse and now need to be finished badly

I do like yous, only advice would be to add more texture to the blade... maybe paint it a little darker and then highlight it out towards the edges and paint the hair on the helm a color and then give it a little dry brush good start indeed
    Slaanesh, god of the beer goggles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    215 (x4)

I think you could use bleached bone/white or dheneb stone to brighten up the face and the chest plate. As is, it's a fairly dark/subdued figure except for the force weapon which draws the eye to the spear and away from the figure. Making the face plate and chest plate lighter would give you a bright axis that would draw the eye from the spear down to the center of the figure. You could probably highlight your robes one shade lighter too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

i feel that most people paint their eldar brightly and busy, i like how it is dark and simple, change of pace. maybe a wash or two to the cloak and some hightlights, but i really like how it looks. nice work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x3)

yeah it looks good and the way you are applying your techniques is right, maybe you could add another colour to break up the large black/dark areas on the model. Details like the staff and the gems make a big difference to the models, possibly a brighter green on the gems. Good work so far though.

Add me! Let me know your forum name too! =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    397 (x6)

The first thing I noticed was the really deep purple robe. What you've got is a great start but it looks like you've applied purple highlights on top of black. I think if you built up your highlight with layers (even just one more) the transition would look smoother without losing the really nice effect you have going. In general I think everything you've painted looks good but there are a lot of large, black areas that are also begging for some attention.

Great work!
    General Project Log Things I Paint
    Seeing Red A Khador Log
    Stuck Between Stations My Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all, the comments are quite useful to help get another perspective.

I'm going to highlight out the hands and cowl areas with a bit of grey/white dry brushing to give it a bit of an edge, and I'll also try to work on the layering on the cloak.

How should I got about this? Maybe throw on a purple ink to add depth, redo the hexed lichen that's on there now, and then... what? Add white to the hexed lichen, or move up the scale to the next brighter paint?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The next color up the scale is warlock purple, unless there is another GW purple(I think those are the only 2), and going to that would change the model drastically as Warlock purple is some kind of radioactive purpley-pink thing. I would not recommend it if you want to keep the blue tone of the cloak. Adding white to the warlock purple could work, though i'd test it first to see if you liked it and then (in my mind at least) you wouldn't want to use too much of it, to maintain that darker look.

Overall, I quite like this model, as far as Eldar go, I dislike the darker ones the least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

I reaaly like what you've done with the model. One suggestion I would have though is to accentuate the the chest plate and pistol, and dull down the CC weapon a bit. This gives you 3 similar spot points, which help to give the model focus. The face plate is also a good spot point to use, but be wary of creating more than 4 as it tends to look pretty busy otherwise.

As for the cloak, I rather like it. Some of the detail on the belt could do with being picked out more, and the haft of the cc weapon could use some differentiation from the glove, possibly using a dark metallic? Try mixing some dark metal (I'm afraid I don't know the vallejo paints so I can't help specifically) with balck to get a really dark colour with a hint of metal, and use a deep blue for the gloves (possibly necron abyss, or a mix of it with black?)

Finally, a really snappy base would finish it off well. Nothing too fancy, but a snowy base with a hint of purple would look awesome. The best way to achive this is to cover the base in pva then sand, apply a coat of the foundation purple (hormagant purple?) with a LOT of white mixed into it (possibly about 4or5:1 mix) then a drybrush of white over the top, then some snow scatter to finish it off.
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

S-N
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I'm going to stress what ArtificiallyEnhanced said. Bases are a huge thing on a model. Too much I see a simple straight flocking, but this is a great way to ruin a great model. As long as you don't skip this step, you'll be fine. Because the only thing better than a well-painted army is a well-painted army with excellent, coherent bases.

And don't stress about the task ahead. It's mostly about keeping yourself motivated. Don't sit down and say, "I'm going to paint all my guardians", because you will quickly tire yourself out. Work out a schedule that allows you to not only get your essential units done, but also keeps you entertained. Spice up those Dire Avengers with an HQ (I'm sure you have many). Those Warp Spiders keeping you down? Paint a Wraithlord! And so on.

Have you considered keeping a painting journal? Apparently it's a great way to keep yourself motivated while inspiring others.

Good luck!
    Last edited by S-N; November 27th, 2008 at 05:11.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast