So, I've done it, I've just ordered the Varathar dark guardian model recently produced by Andrea Miniatures of Spain.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, click here for a link or here for the unpainted green proof.

Since it will take 2 or 3 weeks for it to get here, I'm keeping myself occupied with coming up with ideas on how to model and paint it.

I'm thinking about getting a nice base and putting this thing in the center, then filling the rest of the base with modeled lava. The idea is that this guy is in the middle of a lava flow in an ash waste. This presents both interesting and challenging modeling and painting opportunities, both with painting the lava itself and the glow on the underside of the model. I'm gonna go with the helmetless head for this one, much more character I think.

As for the painting, I think I'm gonna go similar to how it's painted on the website except for a few things. I don't like how purple the skin came out on the house model. I'm thinking that doing an adeptus battlegrey->codex grey->fortress grey highlights and then a purple wash would be better in giving a hint of cool hostility rather than purple skin. The armor will be standard boltgun metal then highlighted with chainmail and then I'll wash it with Asurman Blue to again give a hint of coolness. Possibly gonna paint the cloak blue, but I don't know.

If anyone here has any ideas or suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them. I'll try to do a WIP when I do get started, but either way I'm deffinately gonna post pics of the final.