Metal Models paint is chiping - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Metal Models paint is chiping

My Kaskrin Storm Trooper models have slowly had their painting chipping away, not to the point where ill have to repaint them entirely but if this keeps up I will have to. To prevent this could someone please tell me how they keep their metal models from chipping? I plan to put alot of time into a sisters of battle squad so i would like tog et this problem solved before they start chipping too.

Thanks for the help in advance everyone!

"Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

A nice coat of gloss varnish will be golden, and preparation by washing with washing up liquid before painting, undercoating with a good quality auto-repair spray will make sure that the paint adheres well and painting in thin layers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x1)

Well. All that is fine, but to make it easy, you don't have to wash the models, nor get that top of the line spray either.

And don't gloss varnish them either. They'll just look gay.

What I do to protect my minis is add just that little bit of varnish into each lot of paint I use, mostly the basecoats.
    That'll do the job just fine.

Also a member of NeoDestiny (Administrator under the same name.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try priming with car primer, it sticks to anything and makes a really strong bond to it
    May the "Nurgley Goodness" protect you!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

220 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
    Well. All that is fine, but to make it easy, you don't have to wash the models, nor get that top of the line spray either.

What I do to protect my minis is add just that little bit of varnish into each lot of paint I use, mostly the basecoats.
    That'll do the job just fine.
    Matte varnish can then be applied on top of gloss varnish to take the shine off. Mxiing varnish with paints won't work as well, as it changes the consistency and flow of teh paints, you have to thin them out more, and this reduces the pigment concentration, which makes paints appear blotchy (like washes where flow agent hasn't been used...)

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
    I dont think this is a suitable response for a forum of adults.

My suggestion would be to use a spray base coat. If you are confident and competant enough, two light coats will give a good solid (harder to chip) coat. Using a matt varnish to finish off will improve the longevity of the paint.

But it is the way, the metal models will chip easier with time and use on the battlefield.

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    397 (x6)

I've found metal models are a lot more prone to chipping than plastics are. I always give my metal models a good wash in the sink before I prime them to remove any release agents from the casting process. A good coat of primer (and not just black or white paint) adheres to metal well and gives your paints something solid to stick to. Finally, you can protect with matte or gloss varnishes once the painting is complete.
    General Project Log Things I Paint
    Seeing Red A Khador Log
    Stuck Between Stations My Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

215 (x4)

Good primer coat - I tend to use automotive primers and not hobby primer, spray sealant afterwards, and a little care in handling works for me. What's causing the chipping? Is it casual handling, the storage, or something else. Maybe there is another aspect you need to look at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x4)

I agree with xbanditsx
    I recommend washing them in the sink with warm water and soap, I use an old toothbrush to give 'em a good scrub. Most of the time, unless you do loads of rough gaming with the model, the chipping is due to the release agents still present on the model since casting. Made to make it not stick to the mould it has the unpleasant effect of repelling paint as well. Solid coat of primer ontop of a clean model should take care of things.

I've had zero chipping since I started doing that.

- Clean model in warm water & soap.
    - Spray primer
    - Retouch any areas not caught by the spray with a brush (it gets really windy here ^^)

Your fluffraping hurts my eyes. - TehDarkPredator

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

220 (x8)

Amen to that - I have models that were primed using Halfords spray (white) and have been in a cradboard box for several years without any buffers between them, but the undercoat is barely scratched. And the undercaot provides the strength of thebond to the model, without it, acryics and enamels both will just slide off...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast