Highlighting armor plates - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highlighting armor plates

Allright so im trying to get some advice on how to highlight armor plates, on afew of my Crisis Suits, but also on any other armor. I have two crisis suits im using as test beds for different color schemes (the primer kinda sucks, got all fuzzy and grainy, so i dont think they will be used in games) And im not sure how to go about doing the highlighting. One is done in mordian Blue, the other is Hot Orange (GAMES Color).i dont know what to use for the orange suit, but Ive tryed ice blue on the blue one, but what i can get looks much to thick for highlighting the edges. And advice would be greatly appreceated.

Oh.. but i dont look so good with all those.. tentaclly things..

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Method I like doing, which I just recently learned about, is drybrushing the highlight coat on. It'll be more subtle than a lot of corner highlighting you see (Look at any GW Ultramarine model to see what I mean) and looks a lot better.

Dry brush your suits in your base color using a large brush (Citadel Tank Brush), use very little paint. Then after the brush is completely dry, barely dip it into your highlight color and wipe off as much as possible while still leaving the tiniest amount of paint on the brush. This is where this painting method gets fun, now you decide how you want your armor to be highlighted. When I paint my space marines, I paint everything towards the head. Meaning, I take soft and fast sweeps from feet to torso, hands to torso, and head up. But for shoulder pads I go downward, but that's just something I do because of the contrasting look. Lastly you may want play with a citadel wash color, while it's not necessary it will bring out a lot more color. I paint my space marines Regal -> Enchanted -> Asurmen wash and my marines look as dark as crimson fists but with the bright highlight of the ultramarines. The effect is really cool to have such contrasting colors at the same time. So if you're still experimenting I highly recommend trying this method. It also makes mass (batch) painting sooooo easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you would say to drybrush the base color aswell as the highlight color? It doesnt sound like its the most controllable way to get a base coat down, but i suppose i could give it a try and see how it comes out to look.
    Oh.. but i dont look so good with all those.. tentaclly things..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    215 (x4)

I use a #2 flat brush for most of my edging work. If you wipe off most of the paint and then run the flat edge of the brush along the edge you want to highlight, it should leave a nice crisp line. You can probably use Lightning Blue to edge the Mordian Blue or if you want something more subtle, use Ultramarine Blue mixed with some Lightning Blue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stratassj View Post
    So you would say to drybrush the base color aswell as the highlight color? It doesnt sound like its the most controllable way to get a base coat down, but i suppose i could give it a try and see how it comes out to look.
    Trust me, it sounds weird but works well. Practice it a few times to see if you like the look and style.

+ Reply to Thread