Tomb King Painting help please! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tomb King Painting help please!

Hello everyone! I would just like to begin by saying ihave absolutely no idea about painting. I have a full set of good paints and brushes from when my brother played warhammer. Now, i need to paint my tomb king army, and i would love any kinds of general advice of how to get that realistic bone color. Any tips will do, thanks a lot!

-Victory528

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Well I recently saw advice given in the form of this:

Undercoat white and...

White all the way. Prime them white, wash them with devlan mud and then gryphonne sepia right out of the pot and the bone will be done.
    Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by victory528 View Post
    Hello everyone! I would just like to begin by saying ihave absolutely no idea about painting. I have a full set of good paints and brushes from when my brother played warhammer. Now, i need to paint my tomb king army, and i would love any kinds of general advice of how to get that realistic bone color. Any tips will do, thanks a lot!

-Victory528
    I believe that a shade of brown slightly lighter than nutmeg as an undercoat, then gradually brightening highlights will look good...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

I took a different approach for my Tomb Kings. I wanted a "brighter" approach as if they were fresh.

I primed them blank... heavy dry brush of bleached bone, light dry brush of skull white. Done.
    Sec and ill post a pic.

It's probably a style you won't see very often as people like the 'dusty' or 'old' look.. but its my personal preference.

Edit: Yes i know theres mold lines... i got lazy.
    Eldar Project Log
    Saim-Hann Eldar: 5000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wrekka View Post
    I took a different approach for my Tomb Kings. I wanted a "brighter" approach as if they were fresh.

I primed them blank... heavy dry brush of bleached bone, light dry brush of skull white. Done.
    Sec and ill post a pic.

It's probably a style you won't see very often as people like the 'dusty' or 'old' look.. but its my personal preference.

Edit: Yes i know theres mold lines... i got lazy.
    And if you don't like this style, do the same thing, but wash it with some brown. Heh, the simplicity of the models are why I absolutely love Necrons.

A Vespertine Viper's Nest Of Sublime Wickedness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Well, how I did my vampire count skeletons was to prime them black, paint them scorched brown, drybrush bleached bone over the top, and highlight with skull white.

Looked great, and very simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think black is the correct primer colour if you want "brighter" skeletons. Personally I've seen the following approach work VERY well and very quick to boot.

Prime white
    Airbrush your entire unit using the closest foundation paint to bleached bone
    Airbrush entire unt with Brown wash
    Airbrush using bleaeched bone again but go for a VERY light covering - airbrush from further away
    Airbrush using skull white - again, very very light and even further away.

I saw someone paint over 200 skeletions in an hour this way, leaving just weapons and detailing to do and the results looked very good indeed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

If you're like me, though, and don't have an airbrush, then as has been stated above, start with a white primer and an undercoat of either white or bleached bone. A wash of Devlan Mud for definition, then maybe just a straight drybrush of bleached bone or skull white (the latter only very light, though, if you want it to look realistic).
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can definitely recommend getting an airbrush then, makes painting blocks of infantry which requires simple basecoat schemes incredibly easy. Armies like vampire counts, lizards, tomb kings etc. could all benefit a LOT from an airbrush, as ones like Empire (with a bit more detail) can still be made a bit quicker. Not to mention 40k! They're cheap from GW too.

PS I don't own shares in airbrushes

+ Reply to Thread