Washes And Inks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washes And Inks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

How do you use them and what are they used for?
    Up to now I've mostly only ever used the normal colours, but now I want to try and make all my minis paint jobs better.

Ta

Toastee

Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have never used a wash or ink :o
    I mainly of them for filling in recesses or making the greaves on my CSM armour look old and weathered. You can use them on flater surfaces and not just recesses but I wouldn't be the one to comment on it, what I do know from my limited experience with it on armour ( not greaves ) is that it takes forever to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

Well, I've used them very rarely and a LONG time ago.
    So do I need to use them with the same colour of paint?
    I.E Blue wash with any blue paint
    Red wash with any red paint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:blink: i cant believe u dont really use them. What they do is go into the cracks, and what not, of your mini giving it more detail and makes the mini look more like its been in battles.For example, if u have a skull sumwhere on your mini that has a crack in it, dip your brush in black ink and just poke inside the crack.This will spread the ink through the crack.Dont go slathering the ink on cause it can take a while to dry.

[FONT=Courier]Seeing an old lady named Elma shoot up a mall would make life worth living

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inks are practically the only thing I use once I have finished the base coats of the mini's. The first thing you should use inks for is shading. Then once you have experimented with the consistancy, use them to highlight as well.

For example, I have an Dark Eldar Incubi I painted a year or two ago, I painted the face plate on his helmet in Bleached bone, I then used a mix of Chestnut Brown wash and Dark flesh to darken it a bit. 4 hours and many coats later, I finished probly the best mini I have ever painted.

What really helps when your using inks is getting the base coat right. This is usually the colour you want the highlight to be. The other thing about inks, is getting the consistency right. You dont want it too thick or the blending wont work when you paint it on. You know you have the perfect consistency when the ink dries practically the second you paint a thin coat on (I sit right under my lamp, so that has alot to do with it too).

Also, when you are using an ink on a large area (like I did on the Incubi) the first coat of it WILL look awful, dont worry about this, keep going and make sure you have a consistant blend in the colour. The more layers you add the more you will notice the paint smoothing out.

One trick I use to shorten the length of time it takes to ink is paint the area in the highlight colour, then (depending on what colour you want to shade it with) use the darkest shade of your ink in the areas you want shaded, dont worry too much about being neat. Then make a watery ink mix (5 parts of water to 2 parts of paint) halfway between your highlight and your shading colour. Now use a thin coat and paint everywhere you havent allready, after a couple of coats you will should get a nicley shaded/highlighted area.

Highlighting with inks is fairly limited to what surface you are painting. Usually I only use this technique on weapons (ie: using a Mithral Silver wash over Boltgun Metal) But it can be good for painting smaller armour areas like the ones you find on Eldar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x4)

No you dont need to use inks with certain paints, think of it as a super watered down version of the paint, yet retaining exceptional color.

98% of my ink usage is in watered down black ink (or simply watered down chaos black).
    It goes great with everything!
    Do you have a golden Imperial eagle symbol on a SM chest? well then wash it with watered down black ink and see the details come alive!

Also i use it for shading and skull coloring (essential&#33

Your fluffraping hurts my eyes. - TehDarkPredator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

254 (x8)

Originally posted by protocon@Jul 10 2003, 04:25
    No you dont need to use inks with certain paints, think of it as a super watered down version of the paint, yet retaining exceptional color.

98% of my ink usage is in watered down black ink (or simply watered down chaos black).
    It goes great with everything!
    Do you have a golden Imperial eagle symbol on a SM chest? well then wash it with watered down black ink and see the details come alive!

Also i use it for shading and skull coloring (essential&#33
    Thanks for the help all.
    But Proto, I went with the colours that I talked about it my SM crest thread. The yellow, followed by a brown, then drybrushed Bleached bone.

Granted it hasn't brought out too much detail, but woundn't a black wash darken it too much? Or would I just have to then drybrush it bleached bone again?

Also do you think it would be better using say a yellow wash instead?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x4)

Well you see.
    If the black is thinned out enough, it doesnt retain much color except in the creases (like between the feather thingies on the eagle). You might need to 'lightly' touch up the paint after washing, but its worth it IMO.
    But dont use just black ink straight from the pot, cuz then youll get a black eagle crest.
    It also really depends on your style. If you have black trooops (Utlhwé eldar for instance) then yellow ink would be perfect to wash into the cracks of their armor. Also if you want to have some color in the creases of the model then use the corresponding ink. (but i'd definately ALWAYS thin it out, always).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

254 (x8)

Right I'll try that out then, I'll buy some black wash next week.

But what colour should I go over?
    I paint then yellow first, then brown, so my guess is to go over the brown, THEN drybrush bleached bone?

Ta
    Toastee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x4)

Yes that sounds good.

What tone of brown do you use? (if citadel paint then just the name will be fine).
    Just try it out and see for yourself (not as if we are doing something permanent here )

Could you describe exactly how your crest painting process is?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast