Dwarf help please - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Dwarf help please

I am really new to fantasy and dwarfs, and I need a little painting help. First of all, I have dwarf flesh, but what should I use as a base coat for the skin? Also, on slayers, I found blazing orange to be too bright, and how can I make it darker and more realistic?

If you could post links for tutorials or anything that can help me, that would be great.

[/quote] "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! And tea and crumpets for the commisar was it? Wonderful, that will be ready for you in just a moment sirs." - Khorne Berserker [/quote]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

For painting skin over a black undercoat (which I am assuming that you do), starting out with a dark colour such as dark flesh is a good idea, if you want a smooth coat. Then go with tanned flesh and dwarf flesh.

As for the orange hair, try mixing a little blazing orange into, let's say, bestial brown and see what effect you get. A more brown-ish colour with a orange tint should feel a bit more realistic, yeah?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Da Mighty Camel View Post
    For painting skin over a black undercoat (which I am assuming that you do), starting out with a dark colour such as dark flesh is a good idea, if you want a smooth coat. Then go with tanned flesh and dwarf flesh.

As for the orange hair, try mixing a little blazing orange into, let's say, bestial brown and see what effect you get. A more brown-ish colour with a orange tint should feel a bit more realistic, yeah?
    Yes, I am painting over a black base

and would bestial brown or scorched brown work as a substitute for dark flesh? and you don't drybrush the dwarf flesh, right?
    [/quote] "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! And tea and crumpets for the commisar was it? Wonderful, that will be ready for you in just a moment sirs." - Khorne Berserker [/quote]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Scorched brown would be a good substitute, I think. Try it.
    And no, drybrushing flesh is not a good idea since drybrushing gives a 'rough' effect and you want skin smooth and even.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I'm only now becoming happy with my flesh tone painting after my most recent project (Dwarf Bloodbowl team). I don't work with GW paints, and I do a lot of mixing, so I can't provide exact color references, but starting off with a base brown is best. Following that would be about a 50/50 mix of your brown, and final skin tone, finished off, of course, with the skin tone itself.

And the Camel is right. You shouldn't drybrush skin in most cases. It's best to waterdown each layer, actually, and paint very precisely, and delicately on the final layer so the previous ones remain as shadowing. It's tough, but it's finally come to me with practice, so keep at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Da Mighty Camel View Post
    Scorched brown would be a good substitute, I think. Try it.
    And no, drybrushing flesh is not a good idea since drybrushing gives a 'rough' effect and you want skin smooth and even.
    I was just curious because I also paint 40k Space orks and they look better with a drybushing of goblin green on their skin.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Mix scorched brown and a bit of the tanned flesh. Then do tanned flesh. It'll give nice consistency. If you put some tanned flesh in each layer (3's a good number for new painters), it'll tie them all together.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

525 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by hamsterlord20 View Post
    I was just curious because I also paint 40k Space orks and they look better with a drybushing of goblin green on their skin.
    Ah, but it works on Orks because Ork skin has a lot more texture, and green does not look as unnatural when drybrushed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

what i find work wonders with skin is tallarn flesh as a base, then ogryn flesh was, then highlight with tallarn flesh, and do a final highlight of elf flesh, comes out looking pretty nice for only doing 4 steps, and the steps are fairly fast to, you'll just be waiting for the wash to dry as they take so long to dry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly dude, guess what works best.

Pick up a few flesh colours, an ink or wash and EXPERIMENT until you find what looks good for you.
    I found dwarf flesh to be too dark, my dwarves have really light skin and i think it looks good whereas most others have dwarves with really dark skin

Its preferance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast