Painting White Lion cloaks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

Painting White Lion cloaks

Hi everyone,

Currently painting up a unit of White Lions, but I'm having difficulty finding a decent colour for the cloaks. I even tried the method on the GW website but the base colour as mixed from the Tausept Ochre and Bleached Bone looks nothing like the colour on the website (comes out far too yellow).

So i was just wondering what method everyone else uses when painting their White Lions.

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I basecoat with graveyard earth, then drybrush it all the way op to bleached bone and eventually a little skull white on the most raised parts. Hope it helps ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x3)

I also use that same method with two variations. I base coat with graveyard earth then work my up to bleached bone then with ivory and ending in pure white. The last two colors i use are from vallejo and reaper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

63 (x1)

thanks for that suggestion guys, will give that a try

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

63 (x1)

Incidentally, what colour are you painting the claws and pads of the paws on the cloaks?

I've been thinking a mix of bleached bone and one of the greys (probably a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio) for the claws, and leaving the pads black or doing a very dark grey on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never painted the claws nor the pads but your idea sounds pretty good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

63 (x1)

Hi everyone,

I'm still working through painting my models pretty much experimenting (probably too much time doing that which is why I've only got 6 White Lions mostly painted but not finished).

I was going to post a quick pic of how the cloaks are looking on my models at the moment, but I need to find somewhere to upload the pics to before linking to them.

Anyway, in the end I ended up resorting to the method on GW's website, but putting a coating of fortress grey down first before any other paints which seemed to work a bit better than putting the Tau Sept Ochre straight onto the black undercoat (I wish I'd got a can of grey undercoat for doing the WL's with as I've found on the non-armour areas the paint seems to work better on top of grey than black - unfortunately most of the other models I've got work better from a black undercoat).

After the Tau Sept Ochre I'm drybrushing on Bleached Bone and then Skull White. It looks OK, although more like a regular lion skin than a white lion.

At the moment I've just done the lion claws as straight bleached bone which looks sort of OK, haven't got round to experimenting with the mix I suggested earlier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking forward to see the pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

63 (x1)

Have now uploaded the only decent pic out of the bunch (wasn't in the mood for setting up the tripod so all the shots were handheld and this is the least blurred out of the lot).

Probably because there was both a light directly above the models and the fact that I was using a flash as well, the drybrushing on the models looks a bit more pronounced than it does under normal light.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the crests/plumes on the models as you can probably tell. The model on the left has a base colour of bleached bone with a drybrush of Skull White, the one in the middle was based with one of the greys with a drybush of Skull White, while the one on the right has a base colour of Red Gore and drybrush of Blood Red. I'm planning on using a couple of different trim colours to differentiate my units (and hopefully help me remember which unit has which banner or magic items). One trim is going to be red and the other blue but I'm not sure whether to extend this colour to the crests/plumes or go for something else.

Happy strokes, happy s... redarmy27's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    331 (x5)

Those models look very well done. Great work so far; they'll really pop when you add some basing to them.

The idea of adding accent colors to the plumes does sound like it'd be a very cool idea. I think there's two ways of doing this:

1. Add a wash to the white plume, a light wash, of the desired color you want. This way the plumes will still be white, but they will have a slight hue to them.

2. Add a shading wash of gray to the lighter plumes to give them depth and then paint the end strands of the plume with the desired color. It will take a little bit of precise work to get just the top strands on the end of the plumes but it'll look very nice!

Other than that, they're lookin' good, champ!

Jake

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast