How to pin a model - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to pin a model

I've recently finished putting together a DP for my Word Bearers army and since it was such a large heavy model I wanted to pin it so it would stay together. Now, in the past I haven't really pinned anything before so this was a new experience for me. All I have to say is that this was the hardest miniature I have EVER had to put together. I am excited though for how well this DP will do in battle because I made a significant blood sacrifice to complete him. After the drill slipped into my fingers, the knife slipped off of the mold lines, and the glue ripped layers of my skin off this model is sufficiently baptized in my life fluid. It was so hard, for me anyway, to get the holes lined up where I wanted them to. I made a hole in both pieces, after doing one and putting a small pin w/ paint on it so it would mark where to drill on the other piece, and found many times that they werent aligned right and I had to drill another hole! Also, I had to putty about every joint. Is there a guide on here about pining and ways to do it fast and easy like? There has got to be a better way.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

Afraid not- it takes time, effort and practice. You'll get used to the techniques quickly enough though, and develop your own way of doing it. Good luck!
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x1)

One technique I've found to be helpful with lining up the pin holes, provided you don't paint before assembly, is to stick a moderate drop of paint on one piece in such a way that it'll coalesce and mark the other model. It's not precise, but it'll give you a target area to aim for. (Generally the center of the spot works, so long as you alinged the two pieces properly when marking.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

You can line up the holes correctly by using Sticky-tac (or blue-tac in UK).
    1. Drill the hole in one of the pieces.
    2. Moisten the sticky-tac and put it on the piece where you just drilled.
    3. Place the two pieces together, and then move them apart again.
    4. On the piece you haven't drilled there should be the sticky-tac with a little bump in it where the hole you drilled was. Drill through this bump.
    5. Remove sticky-tac.
    6. Pin pieces together.
    I gleaned this from a turotial on Cool-Mini Or Not : Joint Pinning Made Easy (it has pictures).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had minimal success with the paint drop method but the sticky tack method is new to me. I'll have to try this. Is sticky tack the stuff you put on the back of posters so you dont have to use a pin and put holes in you walls?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by DrkApostate View Post
    Is sticky tack the stuff you put on the back of posters so you dont have to use a pin and put holes in you walls?
    Yes that's the stuff.

+ Reply to Thread