New nids to look at! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

New nids to look at!

Hey guys here are my latest nids tell me what you think!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I think they are well put together. The spikes/blades on the carapace of the Carnifex look good. The colour of red you are using is nice. I think you should consider using a few other colours. The winged Hive tyrant looks good, the pose works well on it. I also like how you have put the devourers together that way. But the red on the devourers is the same as the red of the carapace. They will look better if they are two different colours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    215 (x4)

To be honest, I'm not a big fan. They're a little bit too flat. The overall basecoats are nice and the red edging is neat, but overall there isn't very much depth. I think the red could use a darker color as a shade to differentiate between the plates. The rest of the body on the other hand, is very dark and could use with a heavy drybrush of a lighter shade to help accentuate those parts. I see some highlighting, but it looks very spotty. Of course, this could all be the lighting.

The silver bases don't quite do it for me either. Given your choices of the red and the dark blue/black, a lighter color base would do a lot to help frame the figure and help it stand out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ifurita View Post
    but overall there isn't very much depth. I think the red could use a darker color as a shade to differentiate between the plates. The rest of the body on the other hand, is very dark and could use with a heavy drybrush of a lighter shade to help accentuate those parts.
    This is true. I would agree that you need to work more on your shading and highlighting. Try using inks as they can give you some depth in your paint jobs fairly easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x1)

As far as drybrushing goes it is the lighting and photgrophy. There is quite alot of ice blue dry brushing, it is just harder to see. Umm to this depth thing you guys are talking about. I have absolutley no idea at how to achive it. Are there any guides for how to do it anywhere. Also with the inks, im taking a trip to my local hoppy store soon and i would appreciate if you could possibly tell me what inks/ colors im going to need. Plz keep it citadel brand though because i really dont like switching paints. Thx!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    215 (x4)

It would probably be worth the investment of an hour and a couple of throw away figures to play around with washes. I don't use inks much, but it's worth the experiment. Take your throw away figure, basecoat one in the red you use and the other in the blue. Wash half the red figure with Badab Black and the other half with Devlan Mud. I use Liquitex colors, but the Citadel washes should work out fine. You can probably wash the entire blue figure with Badab Black. Next, give the entire figure a drybrush of the original basecoat and then try some edging. Try out a couple of different shades of red/orange and blue and then see what works for you. For the red, what you should see is the wash pooling in the recesses, giving you a deep brown/red color, deepened red between the creases and the edges of the carapace, original basecoat at the edge and then something lighter (i use Blazing Orange) at the very edges. Here's what I mean:

For my Tyranids, I use a straight Mechrite Red basecoat, washed with Liquitex Brown. This figure does not have the edging done. You can see that the wash has deepened the red and added some shading in the creases between carapace plates.

The reason I use brown to shade red is that it deepens the red rather than making it look dirty, which some blacks can do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x1)

Alright thanks ill buy some inks today. Also i did edging with blood red do you think i should go lighter?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by _Mr_NiD_ View Post
    Alright thanks ill buy some inks today. Also i did edging with blood red do you think i should go lighter?
    Perhaps a tiny amount of orange on the edges. However I would make it only the tips that you apply the orange on. This will help to make it more subtle and make sure you only apply the tiniest amount of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

I know the rules for the model don't exist but, I think a Red Terror is a must have for you at this point.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're ok, for my personal preference Im not so keen on them but dont let that put you down if you like them then it doesnt matter what I've written.

Infact you could disregard the above if you really want too.

Help my dragon grow! pfft dont bother anymore he died since he didnt get enough clicks >:(

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast